Black Beast

(above is Glenda the good witch of the South. She's not in this chapter but I thought it would be nice to see her pretty face.)

Chapter 4. Black Beast

I paced back in forth in my throne room. I may be able to easily subdue my sister, but taking down that boundary spell was a completely different story. All three of my sisters magic went in to making that blasted barrier. It may have weakened when Everleen died, but it still stood strong. Even from here I could feel its magic energy surging throughout Oz.

I could try an absorption spell, but then I'd be weak after it. Attacking the barrier head on would be a complete waste of magic. I was quickly running out of options. My one ticket out of this dump was in my sight, but so far away it might as well be gone.

"Dammit," I screamed in frustration and a mirror shattered from the force of my magic. "How is it that I, the Powerful Witch of the West, am stumped on how to take down a measly barrier? Oh mother must be rolling in her grave in shame right now."

Feeling defeated I flopped down in my chair feeling defeated. I wish mother were here. She used to make everything seem so easy, effortless. I wiped tears that started to form in my eyes and steeled myself once again. Mommy isn't here Zelena. It's just you and the cruel world.

"Will I never get out of this cruel world?" I only asked out of self-pity.

Of course I knew that whatever higher being existed out there was not so merciful when it came to me. Seeing as how they've ignore my please all this time. I asked for a new family, they gives me one only to tear it apart, granted I did play a major role in that.

Seeing as how Emerald City is a good few days walk from vermitland, I knew she couldn't have gotten too far ahead of me, but after the fight with my sister my magical energy is rather on the low side. I normally wouldn't have anything to fear, but those shoes contained all of my sisters magic plus their own magical ability. They were not to be truffles even if their current owner was less than adequate.

"She obviously doesn't know about the shoes if she's going to see that fool of a wizard," I thought aloud passing my room. "Its doubtful that imbecile of a sister of mine told her anything, fearing she might be like me or Everlean. Forever loving but always weary that one. Meaning she'll be vulnerable all on her own. I just need to to come up with a way too...ah!"

I'm a genius. I chuckle at my own wickedness. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. With a new zest, I stroll over to the Dark Room. Now mind you I didn't choose the name but that's what I've heard the servants around the castle call it. I do suppose it has an easy to remember named. I still prefer Endid Tywyll but its a mouthful when I'm in a hurry.

The room is dark, completely devoid of any light except for the one window on the high ceiling. In the room are coultless ropes that I use to summon my minions when I need them. Which reminds me, I wave my hand and the rope for Bernard vanishes. Won't be needing that anymore now will we?

I come to a rope with elegantly designed feathers. They we're black and sleek as oil. On the quill end they were dipped in good with a red ruby on the very tip. I admire my choice of style for a minute before remembering the task at hand and yanking the cord. A shrill sound was instantly triggered. It was loud enough to make me summon wax to my ears just to block out the noise.

I knew when the ringing has stopped when I saw feathers falling from the ceiling. I removed the wax and looked up to the beams and saw a row of seven large, beautiful, black birds. Their feathers were puffed and polished, the beaks as shiny as a pair of freshly polished floors and their claws especially sharp just the way I like them.

"Hello darlings," I said grinning. "I have a job for you. There is a foreign girl in Oz. She goes by the name Dorothy. I want you to find her and get the ruby shoes she possess by any means necessary. Wound her if you must but kill is the operative word here. I don't want the one that killed my sister dropping a house on me, understand!?" They each cawed and and flapped their wings in response. "Then go. Find this girl and bring me her slippers."

My minions cawed together and took to the sky. They flew through the window and towards the road leading to Emerald City. Bored, I decide to go to the lower levels of the castle and check on the servants. I knew they wouldn't let me down. They know the consequences if they did.

Hey guys. I know its been a long time since I've updated and I apologize for that. Life has been busy for me and I just quite from my summer job. Anyways, I know this chapter was a little short, or at least it seemed that way to me, but I will make it up by giving you a peek inside of Zelena's place in the next chapter and a view into her past after she ran away from her dad. Leave a comment if you want anything else. Anyways, toodles my babytots.