Chapter 17

No. This can't be real. Nessa's brain revolted against the presented information. This can't be my child. I don't believe it.

But the little body wrapped around hers was warm and real, the scent of apple and berry shampoo rising from her long hair. Too stunned to even contemplate talking, Nessa's arms closed around the small girl, and despite all the fantastical elements of the moment, she allowed herself to bask in the simple embrace with this child that felt like a part of her.

"Mommy, where have you been?" The girl raised her delicate face and looked up at Nessa with confusion. "Wait – mommy?"

"Summer, this is mommy's cousin," said Dan. Nessa glanced over and noticed his unshed tears. "She looks a lot like mommy, doesn't she?"

Summer stood up, and with Nessa kneeling, the two were face to face. "You do look a lot like her. But you're younger. And my mom is prettier, of course. And my mom had a scar on her chin where she fell over skiing with me last year."

"I- She fell over?" Nessa managed to say, dazed by this eloquent, beautiful child with Dan's eyes.

"Yup. She was learning how to snow board and she fell on the ski lift. There was so much blood, Occy nearly threw up."

"Occy?"

"Octavius. That's my brother."

"You have a brother." Beyond questioning anything, Nessa simply absorbed the information.

Summer nodded like a tiny adult. "Yeah, he's only five. I'm seven. His name means eight, because daddy really like octopuses, but Occy doesn't have eight arms or anything." She leaned in and whispered. "Sometimes he picks his nose though."

"Summer," said Dan, wiping his face and calling the little girl over to him. "Don't tell gross stories about Occy. And I keep telling you, he used to have eight arms, but they all dropped off and I keep them in the back of the freezer."

"Daddy, I know you're just being silly." She looked between Nessa and Dan. "Why were you guys yelling? You woke me up."

"Sorry, sweetie. Let me take you back to bed." Dan took Summer by the hand and led her back through the sliding door.

Nessa followed, drifting after father and daughter like a shadow. The doorway led to a short hall with two bedrooms. Dan was tucking Summer into a miniature canopy bed with purple drapes while a violet nightlight cast everything in an amethyst glow. "Can mommy's cousin tuck me in?" Summer asked as she curled down under the covers.

"Uh, Summer, I'm not sure..."

"I don't mind," said Nessa, stepping forward.

Dan moved away as she perched on the end of the bed. Carefully, Nessa leaned forward and kissed her future daughter on the forehead. "Good night, Summer," she whispered.

Summer hugged her back. "I know you're not my mommy," she said, "but you really look like her, and I miss her a lot. Can I just pretend that you are her? Just until I fall asleep?"

Tears choked Nessa, throttling her answer, so she simply nodded.

"Thanks. Good night, mommy."

She stayed beside the little girl, smoothing her hair back and rubbing a soothing pattern between her eyes. Summer's face curled into a gentle smile, and it only took a few moments for her breathing to change to a deep, restful pattern.

Standing, Nessa left the room and closed the door. Dan stood there, eyeing her cautiously. "Would you like to see our son?" he asked haltingly.

"Yes."