That one night at home

Chapter 1 

 That one night at home 

Katie POV

Flash back 

I was walking through the hall when I saw the popular kids. I put my head down and walked on the side. That may sound stupid to you, but I’m really shy. I hate how I look; I’m not pretty at all. I’d long ago accepted this.

I went to my locker and stuffed all my books inside. Then I turned around and got slushy thrown in my face. It’s cold stickyness attacked my face, and I gasped in surprise and shock. Everyone was laughing at me, and I ran, face burning, to the bathroom. I locked myself in one of the stalls, and checked my phone. Great. My brothers would nearly be here to pick me up.

My brothers don’t go to my school. Let’s just say that they’re not the brightest crayons in the box. But I was really beginning to regret the decision to leave my old school, and consequently my best friend Ashley, behind. I’d changed schools only this year, and already, I missed Ashley like crazy.

Sighing, I took off my stained sweatshirt and went to wash off my face. I threw my hair in a bun, then ran to the front of the school, quickly spotting my brother’s sports car. I jumped in, happy to see Ashley there. The radio was on loud, and by the time we pulled into my driveway, Ashley and I were yelling the lyrics. No one could hear us, and I was comfortable around my brothers and Ashley.

We all got out, and Drake threw his keys to our butler, Marcus. We all went through to the games room. We all plonked down on the sofa when Alec got a text.

“Dude, Lalya is having a party. We are SO going!”

I rolled my eyes at my two brothers. Ashley and I left to go to my room. Guitar Hero was calling us.

1 hour later

Ashley left for some family things. You know, it’s funny, I’ve never actually met her parents. They’re always working, just like my dad. I was doing my homework when my brother’s came in to say goodbye. They handed me $40 for pizza and left. I was still doing my homework when Moves like Jaggar came on, and the urge to dance around my room like a mad woman was just too strong.

4 hours later

I checked my phone again. Usually, my brothers call if they are coming home late to check up on me. I was beginning to worry. They hadn’t phoned, and they should have been back by now.

‘They’ll be fine,’ I thought, trying not to imagine all fo the things that could have gone wrong. ‘They always are.’

There was a loud bang from downstairs that sounded like the front door slamming. Then there was a cry of surprise, then of pain. I ran down the stairs.

What I saw would forever be ingrained into my memory. My dad was on the floor in a pool of blood, and a guy was biting his neck. Then the guy raised his head and I gasped. It wasn’t just any man. It was Alec. My brother.

I was so shocked that I felt my legs give out beneath me, and I fell down the stairs. I hit my forehead hard, and when I put my hand to it, it came away bloody.

I looked over at Drake, who was staring at me with a strange expression. No, he wasn’t looking at me. He was staring at my forehead, at my blood, with lust in his eyes.

I tried to run away from them, but as quick as a flash, he was suddenly in front of me.

"Drake, please. Please don’t do this!" I sobbed, struggling against the unnaturally strong hold on my shoulders.

He looked taken aback for a moment as he stared into my eyes. But when they shifted to the cut on my forehead, fangs I hadn’t known he’d possessed slid out. What the heck! Drake’s hold on my loosened slightly as he ran his tongue over his fangs in obvious surprise, and I used the opportunity to back away from him.

I turned around and saw my dad on the floor. Dead. I slowly backed away, and bumped into Alec’s chest. Quicker than I could register, I felt a sting as something pierced my neck. Then pain unlike any I’d ever known rushed through my veins and I screamed and screamed, but the torture didn’t stop. I felt myself growing weaker and weaker until eventually, darkness consumed me.