Chapter 11: A Girl of Twilight

As they emerged from the forest, a sight came to them unlike any other. The sun was setting in the distance, giving the sky a pinkish orange hue. The city of the mask makers looked fairly the same as the last time Tahu visited. The Temple of the Mask Makers was radiating a bright orange light from the doorway.

“We’re here.” Tahu said, stretching a bit.

“Wow…” Kasai said, admiring the view.

“Well let’s get going, we’ve kept Ekimu waiting long enough.” Tahu said, making his way towards the bridge.

“Of course Tahu.” Kasai nodded, following behind the Toa.

A sigh came from behind a smooth, silver Austherian mask in the brush. Overlooking the once great city of the mask makers. She took a moment to enjoy the scenery, her arms crossed as she stood, leaning against a tree. “Time to get moving.” She said in a hushed tone, swiping her left hand out to her side, a black and purple vortex rose up from the ground swirling silently. Faint screams echoed from the portal. She took a step towards the vortex before pausing. Snapping her fingers, the gateway vanished.

 Below her position she could see two red armored figures making their way along the path towards the city’s bridge. One wore a red mask, and the other a grey mask. “One of those Toa..” She mumbled, smirking under her mask. “And who are you..?” She said to herself, kneeling down on the grass. She shook her head, standing back up and swiping her hand to the left again, the portal rising back up, the same faint sounds flowing out, echoing through the trees. Quickly she stepped inside, vanishing in the darkness, the vortex fading away shortly after.

“Tahu, wait.” Kasai said, stopping in his tracks, glancing around, looking towards the trees on the hill above them.

“What is it Kasai?” Tahu asked, turning around.

“I thought I had heard something.” He said, listening for a moment before shaking his head. “It probably was just an animal. Nevermind.”

“Alright.” Tahu said, continuing on his way. As they made their way across the bridge, a voice called to them from just beyond the city gateway ahead of them.

“Tahu, my friend!” Called out a large black armored figure, with two others at his sides.

“Onua, I assume Ekimu informed you as well?” Tahu questioned, coming under the arch. 

“Indeed he did.” Onua nodded, the two people beside him stepping forward. 

“Toa Tahu!” Takeru burst out, standing straight and saluting the Toa.

“And who are you?” Tahu asked, looking down at the grey armored Okotan.

“My name is Takeru, son of Korgot, the Protector of earth.” Takeru said, Strider rolling his eyes and pushing him aside, stepping in front of Onua. 

“And I am Strider, Toa Onua’s apprentice.” Strider smirked.

“You are both my students.” Onua sighed.

“Really, you’ve taken on a student Onua?” Tahu asked, placing a hand on Kasai’s shoulder. “So have I, meet Kasai.”

“Yeah?” Strider said, leaning in close to Kasai, glaring at him.

“Yeah.” Kasai replied, clenching a fist and glaring back at him.

“Relax you two.” Spoke the voice of the Toa of water, who had just crossed the bridge.

“Gali.” Tahu and Onua said, waving to her as she and Mizu made their way forward.

“And who is this?” Onua asked, motioning to her large, silver and dark blue armored companion. 

“This is Mizu.” Gali said, smiling under her mask. “And these three are, Kasai, Strider, and Takeru?” Gali asked, the three of them nodding as each of their names were said.

“Listen everyone.” Tahu said, gathering their attention. “Ekimu called us here for a meeting. We shouldn’t continue to keep him waiting.”

“Agreed.” Onua and Gali nodded. “Come everyone, let us go to the mask maker’s forge.” The three Toa began moving again, Tahu leading, with Onua and Gali close behind him.

Faint moans broke the silence of the street, A black vortex swirling in the air, dropping her down to the ground, dust rising up under her impact. As she stood, she glanced down each end of the alley, voices and footsteps coming from ahead of her, she stood aside, her back against the wall as she watched the group of Toa and students pass by the entrance of the alley, moving towards the temple. She smirked, running towards the open street, she morphed into a beam of white light, as she reached the edge of the alley, she shot out, the light flying across the street, into another alley, quickly it shot around and up a building.

Whilst above the roof of the building, she turned back to her physical form, dropping down and landing on one knee.

Kasai glanced back over his shoulder, looking around a bit before turning back, catching up with the rest.

She stood, her braided hair blowing in the wind, her eyes trailing after the Toa in the dark as they made their way up the steps to the mask maker’s forge.