Chapter 4: The Perfect Student

Tahu took in a deep breath, rolling his shoulders, standing straight as he eyed his new disciple, standing a distance from him. The two stood apart from each other, standing on hot, rocky grounds, with a lake of bright, molten lava between them.

Tahu made the first move, leaning forward as he combined his fire blades into his fire board, dashing toward the edge of the lava as he threw the board in ahead of him, jumping onto it and speeding to his student. Lava flung out from under the board as he pulled the golden blades from  his back.

The memoryless Toa pulled his newly received sword from his back, gripping the hilt as he eyed Tahu carefully, watching his path. In an instant, the visitor braced himself, lunging forward with incredible speed, propelling himself across the lava. His feet were unharmed as he ran along the surface, passing by Tahu before he could realize.

The Toa of fire pulled back, his board splashing lava as he turned around, his eyes wide as he looked his ‘student’ over, who was standing atop the lava as if it were solid rock. “How..?” Tahu questioned, gripping the handles of his swords tightly as they became covered in fire. He sped forward, bracing his blades in front of him, the two swords crossing and creating a sort of X. Tahu swung the blades out just before reaching him, a massive blast of flame escaping and colliding into his disciple.

The grey and red armored figure braced himself before the fire hit with a blazing explosion flinging him back in a blur, smashing him into the face of a cliff with tremendous force, an indentation of his form was pressed into the rock, holding him in place. He gave a groan, ripping his arm from the cliff side and using it to pull himself free, causing him to fall a distance before hitting the ground below him. He began to push himself up, standing for a moment until a severe pain began pulsing in his head, he shut his eyes tight, placing his hands over the sides of his mask as he fell to his knees, his head facing to the ground as the pain began to fade.

Tahu raised a brow, surfing over to the land, running over to him and kneeling beside him. “Are you alright?” Tahu asked, placing a hand on his shoulder. His eyes began to open as his head turned to face Tahu.

“I remember…” He muttered, his breathing heavy.

“Remember what?” Tahu questioned.

“My name…” He replied, his eyes drifting down. “My name is...Kasai…”

“Well...Kasai, I think that's enough training for one day.” Tahu responded, pulling Kasai to his feet. “Come, we should return to the village.”

The ground shook as massive feet slammed upon the ground. The eyes and ears of the villagers focused their attention to the tunnel that lead to the surface as a figure emerged from it. his broad shoulders covered by massive silver plates. “Toa Onua, Korgot!” One of the villagers cheered as the rest joined him.

Onua gave a wide smile, waving to the people as he came to the center of the village, the Protector of earth at his side. “Toa Onua, need you make such a scene?” The protector questioned. 

“Yes Korgot, my fellow Toa and I rescued Ekimu, the villagers should have reason to celebrate.”  Onua replied as Korgot nodded. 

“Well, we are in your debt, Toa.” She said as she looked up at Onua. 

“No no, it was my duty, as a Toa.” The massive hero smiled.

“Nevertheless Onua, you are our hero.” Korgot said, a slight smile escaping her. “Oh, I almost forgot, there are two who are very eager to meet you.” She said, motioning for Onua to follow.

“Of course, lead the way.” Onua said, trailing behind the protector, the crowd dispersing as they left.

The two entered a short tunnel, as they came out the other end they could see two figures arguing. “I am obviously the more capable to be Toa Onua’s disciple.” The taller of the two boasted, his armor held yellowish orange plates on his thighs, wrists, and back, with grey armor over his shins, and ornamental black plates over that. He held silver on his chest, and black armor plating on his shoulders, the shorter quickly countering.

“Just because you’re taller doesn’t make you more capable, besides, you have an aggressive streak, and you’re far too rebellious.” The villager replied, his armor primarily grey, with energized transparent blue spread throughout his armor. His mask was similar to that of a protector’s, it was grey, fading to transparent blue.

“We’ll leave it to the Toa then!”

“Fine!” The villager’s gaze fell to the tunnel, noticing the massive figure beside Korgot. “T-Toa Onua!” He mumbled.

“What?” The taller figure asked, his long and lanky form adding to the bestial look of his snake like, silver mask. He turned to face both Korgot and Onua, smirking slightly. “Speak of Makuta.”

The villager ran over to them, a smile across his face as he looked up at Onua. “Toa Onua, my name is Takeru.” He said as he extended his hand towards the Toa, Onua taking his hand and shaking it.

“And I am Strider.” The taller figure smirked, placing a hand over the front of Takeru’s mask and shoving him aside. “I do hope you’ll take me as your student.”

“No way!” Takeru shouted, jumping at Strider as he glared at him, giving him plenty reason to be afraid.

“Back off pipsqueak.” Strider sneered as Onua let out a chuckle. 

“Don’t fight, I can easily train the both of you.” Onua smiled, Takeru nodding in agreement and then looking up at Strider, who rolled his eyes. 

“Ugh..Fine…” He sighed.

Onua nodded, motioning for the two to follow him. He had them stop at a point and walked a distance from them, stopping and turning to face the two. “Now, one at a time, charge at me with everything you have.” Onua commanded, Strider and Takeru sharing a look as Takeru took off, sprinting towards Onua, once he’d gotten close enough, Takeru leaped into the air, clenching his fist as he fell towards the massive Toa. In an instant, Onua’s hand swept aside the little body like a leaf against a powerful gust of wind. He flung through the air and into a distant wall of the cavern, Korgot running over to him and pulling him from the wall.

“Takeru, are you alright?!” She asked, resting the boy on the ground as he groaned.

“Yeah, I’m okay… Just a little shaken up is all...” Takeru replied

Strider smirked and rolled his eyes as he watched the young boy, turning his attention to Onua as he braced himself, ready to run. Korgot spun around, reaching a hand out towards Strider. “Strider no!” She shouted, though her words were a moment too late, Strider had taken off in Onua’s direction, a shockwave erupting from his prior spot as he instantly slammed into Onua. Time seemed to slow, Strider’s feet landed flat on Onua’s large chest plate as he bent his knees.

Onua was slowly pushed back, a delayed reaction transferred Strider’s momentum to Onua and as soon as he arrived, Onua blast backwards, crashing into the wall, forcing through the solid rock wall, creating a deep tunnel as he finally slowed to a halt.

Strider landed on the ground, his feet catching him, kicking up a bit of dust as he stood straight, grinning slightly. “Strider!” Korgot shouted, pulling out her dagger. “What did you do?!” She said as a groan came from Onua’s new tunnel. He climbed back out, pulling himself from the hole, standing up and brushing himself off. 

“Now that hurt.” Onua smirked, popping his neck and rolling his shoulders. “Now...let me show  you the strength of a true, master of earth…” Onua said, focusing his gaze on Strider.