The other thing Klaus said resonates within me a bit. Maybe he doesn't mean it in the way I am thinking, but it's relieving to think that he doesn't totally hate me anymore. Even before he called, I had questioned his ability to be around me, especially considering he left Stefan to protect me instead of doing it himself. I'm not disappointed that he did, I just figured it was because he didn't want to be near me, especially now that he has his hybrids around to keep him company.

"I'm not going to push it." I say, finally.

"Alright," he sighs, "Call me if anything changes... please."

I smile to myself at his forced politeness.

"I will, Klaus. See you soon."

"Yes, very soon."

The line goes dead and I let out a breath. My phone magically shuts off as soon as we hang up, seemingly dead all over again.

Hearing his voice makes me want to run to him. I've been pushing the thought away, but it couldn't possibly be truer. I'm not sure why my heart and brain are so different towards him, despite the obvious monstrosities he has committed over the years. I should be completely repulsed by his entire being, but my heart is stuck in the beautiful parts of our past.

I can't help but wonder what my life would look like if I had returned to Klaus after Mikael killed me. I feel that a lot of people would still be alive because Klaus's anger was tamed with me around. Maybe even my beautiful daughter would still be living as he would have protected her too. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Maybe I should just run while I have the chance, just like I did back then. I know exactly where to go to ensure he would never find me, but what good would running do? I would never be able to trust anyone ever again, even Damon who could be compelled into bringing me back, and I would have to start over just as I had before. Above all, I would be completely and utterly alone in it.

I guess I will have to stay for a while, but only until Mikael is a burning corpse at my feet. I know my power—he is nothing compared to me. If I hadn't had been so naive the first time, Mikael would have never even come close to touching my family.

I spend the rest of the day lounging around in my apartment. Rebekah is nowhere to be found at the moment, but my magic tells me not to worry. The peace and quiet is endless and refreshing... maybe I will just stay here alone for the rest of eternity.

When the next morning comes, I realize that I haven't heard from Damon since seeing him and Elena at Alaric's. It's not really that strange on different terms, but I have this strange feeling in my gut that is irritatingly unexplainable.

With a fully charged battery, I try Damon's cell phone a total of five times. The ringing begins on the other line but stops abruptly after about two seconds. His phone is either dead, or he's avoiding me for some reason.

There's a chance Alaric told him what I had said about Klaus and now he doesn't want anything to do with me. I think Damon had thought of me as his secret weapon against the hybrid, but now that I'm admittedly on okay terms with him, that defeats the entire purpose of our agreement.

Damon's not like that, I remind myself. He has been a friend to me thus far and I'm happy to still support and protect his mission if he changes his mind about Mikael.

Mikael... the inevitable shivers run up my arms teasingly. I feel my heart sink in my chest at the thought that I may have underestimated how desperate Damon and Elena are to see Klaus dead. Could Damon continue with his plan to bring Mikael here after everything he knows about my death?

My phone is still in my hand when I come up with the possible conclusion. It's the only reason he could possibly be avoiding me right now, nothing else would hurt our friendship more than him betraying me in this way. I quickly flip to my recent calls list and click on the recent number. Klaus doesn't answer any of my attempts to reach him.