Parker & the Big Comfy Couch

Comenzar desde el principio

Or maybe three-quarters. Point is I didn't finish it.

"And does Emily know?"

"Hell no, she would've killed me before I finished that sentence."

"So why do it then?"

"Why consume that much caffeine?" I asked, turning my head to face her.

She nodded.

"Because I was falling asleep thirty minutes after I'd woken up. No way would I have made it through the day."

"Why not just go back to sleep then?"

"Nightmares."

Constant nightmares.

"So tell me what's so difficult to face about these nightmares. You worked through them in college, yes?"

I swallowed the knot in my throat, nodding as I turned to face the ceiling again.

That was the most excruciating time in my life, forcing myself to stay in my nightmares so I could see it through until the end.

"So have they come back again?" Jane asked me.

"Not exactly," I declined, my voice hoarse.

Keep your shit together Parker.

"These ones are slightly different."

"How so?"

I took a few moments to compose myself, to ensure that I was going to keep it together.

"Jamie is in them."

Jane was silent for a few moments, and I could hear her pen on her paper. "Can you expand on that?"

The very thought caused an intense ache in my chest, so much so that I struggled to catch my breath for a few moments.

"It's Jamie Lee this time," I said, my voice much quieter now. "She's the one..."

I couldn't say the word. I couldn't even choke it out.

Even thinking it caused me so much pain that I had to stand up and walk it off for a few minutes.

"Take your time Parker."

I braced my hands on the back of the couch, taking in a deep breath. "Ever since she was in that accident, it's like my subconscious has been ripping me apart. I can't stop thinking about it."

"During the day too?" Jane questioned.

"Every time she leaves the fucking house," I said, grinding my jaw as I glanced away from her. "It's like I know I should be doing more to protect her."

"Parker you can't possibly protect Jamie from everything out there."

"But something like this?" I snapped, glancing back at her. "The stupid car? She's sixteen for God's sake. I can't lose her too."

I let my head drop, my chest heaving as I tried to regain what little sense of composure I had left.

"So at night your parents have been replaced by Jamie," Jane filled in.