Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Mary-Ellen

When the show finished and the contestants had gone backstage, I sat waiting for most of the auditorium to clear out before heading to a door leading backstage. I fished my pass out of my pocket, showing it and my ID to the security guard at the door. He smiled and let me through.

I heard a couple familiar voices up the hall, and followed them to a dressing room with Mackenzie's name on it. I lightly knocked on the half open door, not needing to wait long before Mackenzie pulled the door open the rest of the way. When he saw it was me, he smiled, moving out of the way to let me pass.

"I'm sorry you were voted off tonight. You were second on my list of who I wanted to win, after Dalton."

He smiled, shaking his head. "I'm fine. I learned so much while here, and I'm not going to forget any of it, or anyone, soon." I slowly raised my arms, and his grin grew wider, stepping forward and wrapping his arms around me. The hug didn't last long, maybe two seconds, but I tried to put as much emotion in it as possible.

As I pulled away, I turned to look inside the room, seeing Dalton and Trent both on the couch. I went to sit on the floor, leaning against Dalton's legs. I felt his legs move slightly as he leaned forward, and then my hair was moving as he played with it. I let out a breath as I leaned my head back, closing my eyes.

Mackenzie chuckled. "You really enjoy that, don't you?"

"Mmhm."

"Hey, can I grab your phone and switch numbers? I want to be able to talk to you after everything."

I fished in my pocket to pull out my phone. I felt for the home button, pressed it, and let my thumb rest on it, scanning my fingerprint. One of the positives – I don't have to look at the screen for my passcode. I held my phone out, not sure where Mackenzie was, and felt the weight leave my hand. My arm fell back into my lap, my breathing slowing even more.

I felt light pulling at my hair, and as I concentrated on it, realized Dalton was putting small braids throughout. Who knew he could do that?

After ten minutes of sitting around, Mackenzie kicked us out, saying he needed to shower before heading back to the house. I followed Dalton down the hall to his own dressing room, but before he could head to his own shower leaving me to my own devices for a while, I grabbed his arm, pulling him back towards me. He looked surprised and confused until I wrapped my arms around his waist, my face in his chest.

"Congratulations. You did so well. Your single was amazing, I was so lost in it I forgot where I was for a minute."

He relaxed, wrapping his arms around me as well. "Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. It really does."

I pulled away, but didn't take my arms away from his waist. "Question, though."

"Answer."

I fingered at the hem of his shirt, watching the pattern on his shirt, concentrating on the details and stitching.

"Who was the inspiration for that song? You were so passionate singing it, there's no way that it was a generic song that other writers came up with. You helped, didn't you?"

I glanced up to see him nod. "There's someone from back home who I've gotten close to lately, but I don't want to start something too soon. I don't know how she feels yet, and I don't want to scare her away. I'd rather have her as a friend than nothing at all."

I nodded back, fully understanding, but at the same time, I felt my chest tighten. I highly doubted it was me, I wish it was, but we aren't that close... Are we?