Chapter 9

Dalton

I had told her how I felt. Sort of. Yeah, she is a special person. She stuck with me in her own way through everything, even though I didn't understand or know. She didn't judge me. I could be me around her and not have to keep up all these walls. I don't know how she had this hold on me, it was nerve-wracking and exhilarating at the same time.

I didn't want to move, but I had to get up. We needed food, I had made plans for another friend to drop by as well, and later I had to run through staging for my single. I wasn't allowed any visitors on set for that, so I was hoping Mary-Ellen would get along with this friend well enough to entertain each other for a couple hours. I wasn't worried about him being accepting. He had to deal with me for years, through all of my own issues.

I slowly pulled away and moved to stand up.

"You want anything to eat?"

"Yeah, give me a few minutes to get semi presentable."

I glanced over at her, her hair pulled up in a messy bun, no makeup, and a pair of cropped sweats with a Ninja Turtle graphic tee. I had no idea how she thought she wasn't presentable, but I gave her some privacy as she changed. I headed across the hall to change out of my clothes from yesterday and into a pair of purple skinny jeans, a Green Day graphic tee, my typical chains and redoing my eyeliner. When I came out, I leaned my back against the wall, slowly dropping to the floor. I pulled my phone out of my pocket to find a text from my friend, saying he would be over in an hour. Perfect.

I went through Twitter, and followed a few people before Mary-Ellen opened her door, coming out in a pair of gray leggings, maroon combat boots, and an oversized School of Rock hoodie. She had brushed out her hair and swept her thick hair into a loose size braid.

I smiled as I stood up, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and guiding her down the stairs towards the kitchen. Once there, I pulled out a couple bowls from the cupboard, followed by a box of Froot Loops. I went to the fridge to pull out a bag of Chipotle and a carton of milk. I glance up as I started pulling the contents from the bag, shoving it in one of the bowls to put in the microwave. Mary-Ellen was giving me an amused look. I grinned as I pushed the cereal and milk towards her.

"So what's up for today?" she asked as she ate the cereal straight from the box.

"I have rehearsals late afternoon, but I can't bring anyone with me, they want it a surprise for Thursday if I get through. I have a friend coming in about half an hour, actually, and I'm hoping you guys get along with him so you can still hang out when I'm gone, so you aren't left on your own. Are you okay with that?"

She bit her lip as she nodded. "I'm not entirely a fan of new people, but if you trust him, I'll try."

"Awesome!"

We sat at the table as Mackenzie and Trent came through, Mackenzie heading to rehearsals and Trent only in sweats as he doesn't have his until later today. As Mackenzie was leaving, I heard him call that someone was here for me. I jumped up, skipping towards the door to find a familiar head of curly hair half covered by a snapback. We hugged, and I led him back to the kitchen where Mary-Ellen was placing her bowl in the dishwasher.

She glanced up, and I watched her eyes go wide.

"Mary-Ellen, meet Dana Vaughns."

Dana smiled at her, moving for a hug, but then remembered a text I had sent earlier about her not being too crazy about touch. He waved instead.

"Hey, what's up?"

Her eyes were still wide, and they were staring Dana down. Not in a creepy way, more like she was amazed.