Clint nodded and moved his horse forward, beginning to circle the large mesa. Bliss walked by her mother’s grave and rubbed the dust off the wooden cross before re-mounting her horse and riding around the other side. She kept her eyes glued to the mesa wall, eyeing for any hint, and sign that there was a way to climb to the top.

I will get to the top of this thing. I’ve got to find out why Momma killed herself… if that was indeed what happened.

*****

Grace concentrated on pulling all the dry clothes from the clothesline and placing them in the basket. Bliss and Clint hadn’t returned from their ride yet, and Sherman had taken their guest to show him around the ranch, so she had time to clean the house and do the laundry while no one was home.

It was during these times that she tried to find a way to get through to Bliss. The girl was trying to put on a show for her, trying to convince her that she had a good relationship with the Savior while never giving Him a second thought otherwise. It was sad to watch, and Grace couldn’t find it in her to stand by silently.

Bending low to retrieve the basket form the ground, she hoisted the heavy load to her hip and started walking towad the house.

“Let me get that for you, Ms. Grace,” Colt appeared beside her and took the basket from her.

Grace smiled at him. “Thank you, kind young man.”

Colt shook his head. “Pssh. It ain’t right for a perty thing like youto have to carry heavy things.”

Grace giggled, feeling heat creep up to her cheeks. “Now, be quiet, Colt.”

Colt grinned as they entered the house. He placed the basket on the table and she began to fold them.

“Need me to do anything else?” he asked.

Grace shook her head. “No, thank you. I’m just gonna fold these then get to cleaning.”

Colt nodded. “Well, if you need me, just holler.”

Grace nodded. “Thank you.”

Colt walked back toward the door.

“Colt?” Grace stopped him.

“Yes’m?”

“What do you think of Mr. Slade?”

Colt twisted the brim of his hat in his hands. “Well, I think he’s a strange character.”

Grace nodded. “Too strange.”

Clint Slade. That name sounded so familiar.

“What are you thinking?” Colt narrowed his eyes at her.

“Nothing,” Grace shook her head and placed a folded shirt on the table. “Nothing at all.”

**********

Clint met back up with Miss Cooper on the other side of the mesa she was circling. The same one he had been by when he couldn’t find the ranch.

He figured that it was her mother who had been buried under that cross. He knew what that was like. Yet being orphaned at a young age and being raised by his brothers had made him into the man he was today. He couldn’t fault anyone for that.

“Did you find anything?” Miss Cooper asked.

“No. Didn’t really know what I was looking for, though.”

Too bad he was getting used to that.

Miss Cooper blew out a breath. “I’ve circled this mesa a dozen times. One would think that I would find something somewhere.”