“So, ten in total?”

“That’s right. Not exactly an army, but getting ten Gods together is a feat in itself. We aren’t exactly a big happy family. The only time we get together is for battle and the last time we fought together was centuries ago.”

“Oh, so not everyone gets along like you and Apollo and Hermes?”

“No way,” she laughed. “Athena and Zeus, for instance — they despise each other. The only reason Athena is coming is because she believes this is the just thing to do. She’s good in a battle, don’t get me wrong, but the woman is a stickler for laws and rules. Damn drives me insane, she does.”

“I take it you’re not looking forward to seeing her, either?”

“Of course not. I hate them all,” she muttered.

Thea laughed under her breath and looked at the flame again, sighing internally. Why couldn’t she do it?

“Hey, guys. Did Ares arrive yet?”

Her mood lifted at the familiar voice and she gasped as the flame in her hand intensified and sparked into her face. Forgetting the flames wouldn’t hurt her, she shrieked and fell backwards on the grass.

Large hands pressed into her back before she could hit the ground and helped her back up. “Since when are you afraid of a little fire, Peaches?” he murmured into her ear.

She looked at her hand again, ignoring his question, and lit another flame, this time concentrating on how she felt with Hermes touching her. The flame rose instantly and she laughed, watching it grow bigger and spread across the top of the grass.

“Ah, Thea, you aren’t planning on burning down the field are you?”

She snapped her fingers and the flames vanished. Turning around she gave him a hug. “No, I just finally figured it out, that’s all. I’ve been struggling with it since we got here and I think I finally know how to do it.”

He brushed her hair from her face. “Well, that’s nice. Since you’ve made some progress for today, want to get away for the afternoon?”

She nodded and he pulled her to her feet.

“Did Ares show up?” he asked Artemis again.

She nodded, concentrating on her arrows. “A few minutes before you did. Apollo took him away to the house.”

He nodded. “Okay. Enyo should be arriving later tonight so keep an eye out for her. Talk to you later.”

Artemis didn’t look up and they vanished, returning to what Thea was now calling her forest.

“What happened?” she asked. “Did you really have to go and tell everyone?”

He nodded, sitting down and pulling her with him. She sat on his lap and wound her arms around his neck. He traced her arm. “Zeus is being a bastard. They already knew about the upcoming battle. He just wanted to get back at me for ruining his last chance with you.”

She rolled her eyes. “There was no chance to begin with.”

He chuckled and laid down, and Thea moved so her head rested on his chest.

“So.” His voice rumbled through his chest. “What have you been up to?”

She told him about her troubles with fire and Artemis’ observations. “She was telling me about Athena and she sounds pretty strict. If she’s worse than Artemis then I don’t think I want to meet her.”

“Don’t worry about Athena. She won’t make an appearance until the last minute. She will be wanting to avoid Zeus as long as she can.”

“I don’t blame her,” Thea muttered.