Chapter 5

I practically tried on everything I brought with me, and I went for a flowy white dress, with blue details. It's not so formal but I think it will be on point for a garden party like this, I was thinking on wearing some high heels but there's going to be grass and I'm clumsy so I better wear some white sneakers, in my hair I put a cobalt ribbon that matches the color in my dress, I don't usually wear makeup but I apply a little bit of mascara.

I go down and I see my father and Emma welcoming the guests, the minute they see me they start to introduce me to a ton of people, as if I could remember any of the names of this people, I'm not good at remembering names, but I suck at remembering Swedish names, it's just impossible.

I'm chatting with one of Emma's friends when I see my grandparents walking towards me, I excuse myself and I run to hug my grandpa. I have missed him so much.

-"How's my little körsbär?" He greets me.

-"I'm fine, what about you Gingerbread Man?" My grandpa and I have a special game where we call out each other with usual redhead taunts. When I was little and my classmates used to bully me for being a redhead my grandpa told me that was something I should be proud of because it made me special and different, and ever since then he calls me pumpkin, carrot, ginger and all of the red and orange things he can think of, but he does it in such a tender and kind way that every time someone tries to taunt me for my hair color I just think about my grandpa, and it doesn't even bother me.  

-"What can I say? Life is great and you are here so it is even greater!" I hug him one more time and he kisses my forehead and I feel like I'm four again.

-"Hi, Nana!" I say while I hug my grand.

-"Oh darling, you look beautiful, every time I see you, you look better if that's even possible!" She hugs me and kisses me on the check. Oh, I didn't remember how much I missed my grandparents, but they are the best and I love them so much, the only thing that makes me happy about moving here is that I will be able to spend more time with them.

When we finally break away from our hug I see that my dad and Emma are walking in our direction. The moment they arrive I can see that my grandpa changes his expression, he is now cold as ice, I had never seen him like this, he is all rainbows and butterflies when he is with me.

  -"Dad." My father says while he moves his head to greet his father.

-"Son."

-"Hello Søren, how are you?" Emma asks politely.

-"Hello, Emma." He answers ignoring completely what Emma just asked him.

Emma notices but I think she tries to ignore it.

-"So where's Charlie?" Nana asks.

-"Some of his friends came so he's probably playing around." Emma says shyly.

-"Oh, I see, playing with friends is more important than greeting his grandparents." He says coldly.

-"Søren!"

-"Dad!" Both Nana and my father say. I can tell Emma is feeling uncomfortable, I'm feeling that way too. My dad looks furious and Emma looks like she's gonna be sick.

-"I can go and look for him" I suggest.

-"That's fine Pippi Långstrump, let's catch up!" Wow! His mood just changed dramatically.

Everyone looks kind of relieved, including me.

-"Well, you ask." I don't have anything specific I want to talk about so he may as well just ask me.

-"How's that boyfriend of yours?" Grandpa jokes.

-"You have a boyfriend?" Emma asks.

-"No, she doesn't." He kind of rolls his eyes. "You don't, right?"