1. A Hair-dye Gone Wrong.

I think my scream just woke up the whole neighborhood.

Standing in front of the mirror I examined my hair, holding each pluck carefully as if they would explode if I squeezed too hard. My lips formed themselves into a grin while my thoughts whirled around in my head, some of them enthusiastic, others horrified.

Let me explain it to you,

today is my eighteenth birthday. And as every eighteen year-old I wanted to do something extremely rebellious, something my mom wouldn't approve of, something like dying my hair. To you, this may not seem like such a big step but to someone who got locked up in a house for her whole life it's a metaphorical jump over The Grand Canyon.

Though now I just can't understand why I did it, my hair was a mix between pink and purple.

'Mrs. Gothel is going to flip when she sees this.' I thought to myself, new energy was buzzing through my veins and immediately my whole body awakened. And this was just the first thing on my list.

I snapped out of my daze when my phone started buzzing in my pocket, of course it was Mrs. Gothel. Right on schedule, as always I thought to myself as I checked the time. I sighed pressing the answer button.

"Ah, Radley! Why did you take so long to answer, don't tell me you were still asleep." Mrs. Gothel said, not minding to hide the underlying threat in her words. Biting back a sigh of annoyance I answered in a monotone voice. " No, ma'am. I just had to run to get the phone." I knew I was in for quite the rant when she would get home but for now I was fine. "Sure, well I've made you a list that has to be taken care of by the time I get home, you'll find it on the counter top in the kitchen. Goodbye, dear." Before I got the opportunity to answer or protest she hung up.

Mrs. Gothel raised me, obviously she was not my mother but when my parents died in a car accident she, as the kindhearted boss she was, decided to adopt me. Not that she treated me as her own child, no I was more of a indwelling servant to her. We had an unspoken agreement, if I continued doing her chores and take care of her lists, she would feed me and give me all necessary for a decent life-style.

Leaving me no time to go out or actually make friends I spend day in, day out working, cleaning, fixing the lights, whatever you can imagine a seventeen year-old doing. I took an online school course, what would the people think if she had an unsophisticated, teenager orphan in house? Her words, not mine.

I guess that was my story, not that impressive huh?

That's what I thought

Until

That one night, everything changed.

Do you believe in fairy tales?