“Stop squirming!” she said. “You’re worse than Beaver on bath day!”

“Worst day of the year,” he whispered, not loud enough for Mrs Beaver to hear.

“Thank you for your kindness, but I’m afraid that’s all cure I have time for,” the fox said and stood up.

“You’re leaving?” Lucy asked.

“It has been a pleasure, my Queen, and an honour,” he bowed for Lucy. “But the time is short and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops.” Mr and Mrs Beaver gasped.

“You’ve seen Aslan?” Mr Beaver said.

“What’s he like?” Mrs Beaver filled in.

“Like everything we’ve ever heard,” the fox answered. He turned to us.

“You’ll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the Witch,” he continued. Susan and Peter looked gloomy.

“But we’re not planning on fighting any Witch,” Susan said. The fox turned to Peter.

“But surely, King Peter, the prophecy!” the fox said.

“We can’t go to war without you,” Mr Beaver said. Peter sighed and looked at Susan.

“We just want our brother back,” Peter finally said. I sighed. Can’t they just understand that this is bigger than us?

“Think of it,” the fox said and walked away. I stood up, but only Lucy noticed it. I followed the fox, and it was lucky I did. I saw the fox collapse on the ground. I ran to him.

“My Queen, what are you doing here?” he asked and tried to stand up. I laid my hand on him to say that he should stay down.

I had a tingling feeling in my hand. I looked down on the fox and saw that his wounds healed in front of my eyes. I tried to lift my hand, but I couldn’t move it.

When the fox’s wounds were healed, I took away my hand. I was shocked. The fox bowed for me.

“Thank you, My Queen,” he said and left. What did I just do? Did I heal his wounds? I looked down on my hand. It was a little blood on it. I rubbed it away with some snow.

“Emily? Are you alright?” Susan asked when I returned to the fire. I yawned.

“Maybe we should sleep a little?” Mrs Beaver said.

***

“Come on, humans! While we’re still young,” Mr Beaver called out to us. I barely heard it, because I was at the back of our group. Mr and Mrs Beaver walked in the front. Then there was Susan, and then Peter. Then Lucy and last me.

We’ve been walking since the sunrise. I am really, really tired now. I couldn’t sleep well. I just thought of what I did to the fox. I’m still trying to understand what happened. And more confusing is that I noticed a few small wounds on my hand. Not any big, just small. But they still hurts a bit.

While Lucy jumped up on Peter’s back and Susan waited for them, I caught up with them. Susan took my hand.

“Come on, Emily. When we reach the frozen river we can have something to eat,” she said.

“I swear, if he tells us to hurry one more time, I’m gonna turn him into a big, fluffy hat,” Peter said after Mr Beaver told us to hurry up again. I giggled.

“Hurry up! Come on!” Mr Beaver cried out.

“He is getting little bossy,” Lucy said.

“No, behind you!” Mrs Beaver cried out. “It’s Her!” I looked over my shoulder. There was a sleigh coming.