Destiny

"The annual Revealed Fate has final arrived! Every teenager that has become 18 this past year, will find out what future lies ahead for them. It's exciting, isn't it Ricky?"

"Very exciting, Cecilia. I still remember the very day I found out my chosen date"

"Me too, but how could you forget it!"

"Haha, right. Well today we have a extremely important guest on the show. Please welcome Xavier Belong"

"Hello Ricky, hello Cecilia"

"Hello Mr Belong, is it okay to call you Xavier?"

"No"

"Oh? Okay then. Well, um Mr Belong, today is finally the big day for all 18 year olds in the world. Have they been any changes to the ceremony?"

"No"

"Alright, well do you have any advice for the 18 year old"

"Come to the ceremony, or be kil-"

"Iris, why did you turn the radio off. I was listening to that!" My mum shouts at me, not really angry but trying to get her point across.

"I don't need some guy telling me I'll be killed if I don't go" I mumble, placing my head on the window.

She sighs and turns her body to me "Look Iris, I know you're scared but all of our family has gotten brown eyes, so there's nothing to worry about."

I look at her and shrug my shoulders. To be honest I'm not as scared about the hole 'future' thing, I just don't like the idea of someone choosing my fate. Let me fuck up my own life thank you.

"I don't think we're going to get there on time..." I say, purposely trying to avoid the conversation.

"Your right" She agrees, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel. She obviously more nervous than me, although I think she's trying not to show it which isn't exactly working out for her.

Right now we are stuck in a traffic jam, heading towards London. London is where our ceremony is held since most of the Regulation unit live there, it's also big enough that millions of 18 year olds can find out their fate, apparently.

"What's happening up ahead" mum says quietly.

I look forward but can't see anything. "Where? Where we looking"

"Ahead"

"I'm looking ahead, mum. There's nothing happening."

"Look ahead! There is. Look there" she raises her voice.

"You don't need to shout!" I raise my voice as well.

"I'm not shouting!"

"You are!"

"Well if you listen to me once in awhile, then I wouldn't have to raise my-" she stops and looks behind me.

"What? What's behind me?" I say not daring to turn around to find out.

She rolls the window on my side down and leans over towards my chair. "Hello?"

"Hello Mrs. We have a bus up ahead for your child to go to the Choosing."

I turn around to look out my window and see a man, mid twenties with yellow eyes staring at me. He's part of the Regulation.

"Oh okay well can I go with her" my mum asks him, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Sorry mrs, only the 18 year olds. I'll give you some time to say your goodbyes." He replies, stepping back slightly.

My mum gets out of her side of her car and walks around to my side. I get out as well, picking up my bag and sliding it on my shoulders.