5.The long walk

Weiting watched as Tze Xian drove. He saw her looking at him through the front mirror. And theirs eyes locked for awhile. All the things they never said to each other, all the things they never bothered to ask. All the things that Tze Xian wanted to know so badly about her. All the things that WeiTing wanted to know so badly about him.

Everything.

And then Tze Xian sighed. He kept his eyes on the road instead. The girl behind him did the same.

Dusk. The sky was turning black. And Tze Xian stopped driving. He slumped back to his car seat and ran his fingers through his messy, unkempt hair. He looked back at WeiTing.

"The headlights don't work."

WeiTing nodded. "Then we should camp here for the night."

Tze Xian agreed and he unzipped the bag and took out some canned tuna. And some water.

WeiTing looked at her surroundings.

"We made excellent progress." She said with a smile. "We're now at XinZhuang. At this rate, we might be able to reach HangZhou in about a week."

Tze Xian smirked. "That's all because i sped."

"But we'll still have to refuel. Look at the tank. It's barely full." WeiTing said.

"Yeah. I'll go-"

"I'll refuel it. You've been driving the whole day. You need to rest." WeiTing cut in and stopped him.

She hopped off the car and yanked open the fuel tank with her pocket knife, handling the fuel tank professionally as though this was her average day. It wasn't.

Tze Xian watched intently. Not because it was interesting, not because he was hitting on her, but because it cost too much effort to look away. He had been driving the whole day, without a break. Without having a single bite. But not eating was common for him. So he didn't take it so badly.

"Why aren't you eating?" WeiTing asked the boy as she stepped into the car.

"I was waiting for you. I can't start eating myself." Tze Xian replied.

"Is that some kind of family tradition?" WeiTing teased.

Tze Xian cocked his head to the side. "Actually, as a matter of fact, it is." He said. "In my family, if you start eating first, it means you have no respect for others."

WeiTing's eyes widened. "Really? In my family, everyone eats in their rooms."

"How can you eat in a room? Even if you could, everyone's also in the room anyway." Tze Xian laughed.

"My room has a table." WeiTing said.

"Your room? A table? A whole table in your very own room?" Tze Xian asked, as if all this was impossible.