“I’m sorry, Hailey.” Ava said softly.

“Hey. Hey. What are you apologizing for?”

“We should be there with you and not let you get hurt.” Ava sounded as if she was going to cry.

“I’m fine now. Don’t blame yourself for this.” I patted gently on her back.

“Ok. Everybody must be happy!!! I will bake the most fantastic cake in the university to cheer you guys up!!!” Madison shouted excitedly. I laughed out loud when I heard the guys groaned upon hearing what Madison has said.

“Hailey, sit here.” Chloe led me to a chair and I sat on it.

“But…” Before I could say anything, I felt Chloe’s hand left mine and I heard footsteps getting further away.  I was sitting on the chair and doing nothing. They were probably in the kitchen baking cake. I could hear laughter, chattering travelling out from the kitchen. I felt left out. I wanted to help too. I knew I can’t see but I wanted to join them and have some fun.

I stood up from my chair and tried to figure out the way to the kitchen. Cautiously, I took a step forward. I let my hands slid across the chair and reached out my other hand to see whether there were other things to hold for support. After a distance, my hands were basically just sweeping passed the air. I was walking steadily all the while and their voices were getting louder. I presumed that would mean I was getting nearer to them. Just as I took another step forward, I stepped on something slippery. I went out of balance. I frantically swung my hand around and tried to find something to grab on. I screamed out loud as I felt my entire body falling backwards. My head hit on the ground and a loud clear sound echoed through the room.

“Hailey!! Hailey!!!” I could hear a number of people calling my name and numerous footsteps approaching me.

“Hailey!!” They continued yelling my name. I wanted to response but the pain on my head was giving me a hard time to focus. My body was aching badly.

“HAILEY!!” Someone yelled out my name worriedly. I could hear the footsteps quickened.

“Hailey. Hailey.” I felt someone picked me up from the floor and placed me into his arms.

“Bray… den…” I said out his name softly.

“Where do you feel pain? Back? Head?” Brayden asked. I frowned at the pain that I was feeling when I tried moving.

“I’m calling Amy to come check on you.” Brayden lifted me up and began walking. He was probably taking me back into his room. I did not know when I reached the room because before that, I had fainted in Brayden’s arms.

In the darkness, I felt someone holding my hand and stroking gently across my cheek. The owner of those hands seemed to be talking to me as I could hear some voices faintly.

“I’m such a lousy mate. I always failed protect you. Always let you getting hurt, both physically and mentally. How could you possibly love someone like me?”

I love you, silly.

“You must be feeling sad when I pushed you away…”

Yes, I am sad. Probably more than sad. Depressed, miserable, heartbroken…

“How should I make up to you? You can request for anything. I will get it for you…”

Really?! We could go to the amusement park and play. We should have movie marathons and dinner gatherings. We should go to the beach to swim and have picnics during sunny days. We should lie in bed together for the whole day during rainy days. We should go out to the park and have a walk during shady times. We should pile snowman during snowy days. We should fly kite together during windy days.

“Will you stay by my side?” Brayden asked.

“I will.” My eyes fluttered open. The sunlight shone brightly into the room. My blurry vision started to get clearer.

“Hailey?” I turned my head to the source of the voice. This was the face that I had been dying to see for days. I looked into his blue eyes and immediately got attracted to it. I smiled happily while looking at him.

“How are you feeling? Are you feeling pain anywhere?” Brayden asked me in a very gentle tone. I shook my head with my eyes focusing on him.

“I miss looking at you. Just let me look at you a little longer.” As I looked at him, I understood why Chloe asked me to persuade him clean himself up. He really looked very haggard. I wondered how many days he had not been sleeping well. He had dark circles around his eyes and he didn’t shave his moustache.

“You can see me?! You regained your eyesight?!” Brayden’s eyes widened in shock. I simply nodded my head and smiled sweetly at him. He immediately pulled me into a hug.

“Bray…den… pain… pain…” My body was still feeling sore from the fall. He immediately let go of me when he heard me saying that I was in pain. He looked at me regretfully.

“It’s ok.” I said keeping a smile on my face. Brayden held his hand out and placed it on my cheek. Naturally, I leaned on his hand.

“I love you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember to Vote. Fan. Comment.

Last edited 13 June 2018