Chapter 8 Selection

The selection had begun and I was wondering if we should go back. If they saw my back, id be gassed, shot.
All I need to do is run in front of them. Prove to them that I'm not sick, that I can work, it's horrible.
"We should go somewhere else. Take a walk." Elizabeth suggested and gestured to another walkway.
"I think I can run."
"Your bleeding Maria. They see blood and they'll shoot you."
I didn't care, but I suggested that we stay at a close distance to see who they were selecting to be burned alive.
The woman SS were not kind, neither were the men. But at least with the woman SS we didn't have to worry about rape. Not that the men would rape us, but it was a possibility, they think of us as monsters, and for what? A crazy man, who wants us all dead.
It's not possible. Could he really kill us all? Could he really kill off the last of hashems people?
If Moses could see us now. Hitler wouldn't stand a chance.

"Lauf!!!"
(Run!!)
I winced at the voice, the same man who whipped me. The same man who decides punishment and death. I saw many woman strip as instructed and sprint across the field. The first woman was able to hold her clothes, and run at the same time.
The second tripped half way and was sent to the truck.
The third couldn't run. All she could do was faint. The rest ran like normal.
Four woman loaded onto the truck, four more lives taken.
I couldn't help but shed a tear, those woman could be home with family, having soup, and water, and taking showers. But their lives. They were wasted here.
It's almost going to be a month since I got here. The worst month of my life. Who knows how long me and Elizabeth can live, how long we can get by, on bread and one mouthful of water every four days.
"Four, lost, because they couldn't run." Elizabeth sighed and shook her head. Being a gypsy, she had a habit for wanting to travel to keep moving. Yet she couldn't. She's used to having people take care of her. Having a small family of friends.

"Let's take a nice long walk. We can talk."
I nodded and just followed. We walked along the way of the barracks ranging from 15 to 35. Which was a ways. We talked about the strangest things.

"What do you miss most?"
Elizabeth laughed and looked at me.
"Water, right now I want so much water, I want to drink so much water that my stomach bursts. I want to eat so much that my jaw hurts.

I laughed and nodded, that sounded about right.
"I miss my fathers sense of humor, and the games we used to play. Eating. I miss being able to go anywhere I wanted. Like when I was little."

"I believe everyone misses that. Everyone misses food and sweets and the ability to own a business."

"The ability to not have to wear a star or a triangle. The ability to drive a car or ride a bus." I sighed and looked over at the crematorium. Smoke never stopped, neither did the smell of death and burning hair. I need to have my arm looked at by a nurse. Maybe they'll be able to take the worms out.

"Can we head back to the hospital block now?" She asked me and I nodded. It would be nice to go back now.
I walked with her for maybe ten minutes. Seeing the hospital block in view, it was sad to know that I wouldn't see those four woman anymore.

As we got to the threshold I looked around, knowing it was a bit different. It felt as if there wasn't much happiness. There never was in the hospital block. so much death, our lives were like a boring book, that only spoke of death and of filth, of something that the world has never known. Soon I would have to share my bed, and hope to god, I wasn't anyone with typhus. hope to anyone listening it wasn't someone who will make me gone before it was my time.

"Oh Maria. We have a new bed for you. We have three more people that are coming in so we moved you to the back. So you can get better faster. " the old nurse pointed to the bed in the back and grabbed my arm.
"Thank you. So much." Elizabeth murmured and helped me over to the bed. It was still very hard to lay down. Elizabeth put her hand under my arm and helped me sit on the bed with my back straight. I winced every time the straw touched the scabbing.

Laying back I winced again while Elizabeth held my hand.

Touching my back to the straw I rested there and didn't move as Elizabeth let go of my hand. I stared at the bunk above my head and closed my eyes. All I see is my mother. My father. Ariel. My family. Soon I'm transported to my living room four months before this ever happened.

"Maria I told you not to run to the table."

"Sorry mom." I sigh and look at the table, I couldn't help it, that night she made my favorite and I couldn't get to the table last. Ariel defensive eats.

"Still, sit and wait for supper." I quickly sat down and leaned back in my chair.

"Yes mother." Waiting I saw my father come home from work. My favorite blue dress was up to my mid calf and soon I smelled the delicious food. The mouth watering food that I so craved ever since I got here. My mothers cooking was unique and I'll never taste it again.

Seeing my father coming through the small door next to the window was the highlight of my dream, because he always brought something for me ever week. This time licorice, black licorice, it was very hard to find or buy. He always made all of us happy, he always protected us.

But the selection before we were sent to the ghetto made him disappear. I never got to see him again. He looked a lot like me, but his hair was black while my moms hair is brown. They both have similar noses, I have my fathers ears and his eyes. Light brown eyes and tiny ears. My father was always work wary.

This is something that made him unique to me. He was always working to support us not matter what.

"Oh my god!" My eyes shot open and I realized that the nurse was looking at the cut on my hand. The worms have started to get to the bone.