Chapter 7 - Conflicting Emotions

Start from the beginning

He chuckled. Here was a sore spot for King Talon, if ever there was one. Lady Caterina had tried to woo him many times before. Reyr wasn't sure if this was something he ought to relay to Claire.

"Does Caterina have some sort of interest in King Talon? I thought that she was more interested in Mage Targa."

"For several years—ever since Caterina came of age—she has tried to woo the king. There was even talk that the king ought to take a wife, and that wife should be her."

"What?" Claire made a choking sound. "You're joking right? Caterina—Dragonwall's queen?"

He shook his head. "I wish I were. But rest assured, King Talon would never have her as a wife. A Drengr can only bear children with his true mate, and only one mate exists for each Drengr. Caterina would have done nothing for the kingdom."

"So, it's true then? King Talon never found his mate?"

"He never did, unfortunately."

"But it's not too late for him to keep trying, right?"

He grunted. "I think he sees it as too late. He stopped trying a long time ago. He is convinced that even if he found her now, no woman could bear his scars."

"I don't think his scars are the problem, Reyr. It's his attitude."

"Well, yes, there is the matter of his temper."

"And what about you? I remember Jovari and Koldis mentioning something about a woman named Gemma. Was she your mate?" There was a measure of hesitance in Claire's voice.

Despite the innocence of her question, his heart constricted. "Yes, she was, but I would rather not talk about it."

Claire chewed on the skin of her bottom lip, as if tempted to forge on in spite of his disinclination. Instead she said, "I—I'm sorry, Reyr. I didn't mean to upset you." After this followed a long, awkward pause, then Claire said, "On a different note, I've got something else to discuss with you. How about a subject change?"

"Yes, please." He hated that the mere mention of Gemma's name brought back his old hurts. He wanted so badly to share that part of his life with Claire, to tell her about his better days, but he simply could not bring himself to it, not yet.

"I need you to help me with my dreams."

"Your—your dreams?" It wasn't the subject change that he had anticipated.

"Yes, I keep having these strange dreams. At first, I wasn't able to remember what I was seeing, but now I know. I think I'm seeing inside of someone else's head."

"Are you implying that you are having visions?" His scowl deepened.

Claire shook her head. "Not visions, per se. I'm actually seeing inside another person's mind."

He leaned back against the sofa and considered what she said. "I think it would make sense if you were purposefully attempting to break into someone's mind. Cyrus was a Mind Bender. With his soul and his magic, you ought to possess the same abilities."

"But I'm not trying—I'm not standing in front of someone trying to read their thoughts. He did it to me, once. It gave me a whopping headache. Besides, this person in particular does not seem to know that I'm there. I can't understand it."

"Whose mind are you seeing?" He placed one arm on the back of the sofa and propped his head on his hand as he studied her.

"It's Kane." Her eyes fell to her skirt as her fingers picked at the embroidery. "It's Kane's mind that I'm seeing." She did not look at him.

"You are sure?" His voice was quiet.

"I'm positive." Her face was pale. "The worst part is, when I'm in his mind, it's like I'm him. I feel evil. I feel horrid! And I don't mind feeling that way. When I'm there in his mind, I want the same things he wants—to possess all the Dragon Stones and destroy everyone of dragon blood."

"Claire, this is disturbing." Reyr shook his head. If she was correct—if it was Kane's mind she was seeing—then he had better tell Talon.

"You don't think I'm...I'm not an evil person for wanting those things, am I? I don't want to want them. I can't help it. It's like I become him. But...but how is that possible? Even the thought of it makes me sick."

He sighed. "You are definitely not an evil person. But what you are experiencing is disturbing."

"You're not going to tell him, are you?"

"Him? Who? The king?"

Claire nodded. "I don't like him knowing stuff about me."

"You are going to have to get past that if we are to work together. Like it or not, he is your king now."

She groaned. "It's not like I need him to thank me for all the sacrifices I've made. But maybe if he would apologize, things would be easier. He tried to kill me and never even bothered saying he was sorry. Now I'm just supposed to forget it ever happened? He needs to get over his stupid pride."

"Yes, he ought to apologize. I will speak to him about th—"

"No! Don't tell him. It doesn't count if the apology doesn't come from his heart."

Claire asked too much of him; far too often he found himself caving in. His lips pressed together in a slight grimace. Damn her for affecting him so! "Very well, I will stay silent for now and consider what you have told me." He grew thoughtful and fell quiet. If anything, it seemed that there was some kind of connection between Claire and Kane, perhaps it had something to do with her ability, but he was not certain of anything yet. At last, he told her so.

They talked for a while until he glanced out the window and realized that it was nearly dark. It would not do to miss dinner when the king hoped to speak with him. "We had better get down to the dining hall," he said. "Shall we go down together?"

His words had the exact effect he was hoping for. Her serious expression dissolved into a smile that left him feeling warm all over. She nodded and jumped to her feet, eagerly taking the arm he offered. Together, the two of them left her chambers for the dining hall. 

⭐🌟 DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!🌟⭐