Ten

Nicki

     "You know I don't want you to be broke by the time we leave, right?" He chuckled, sitting across the table from me. "I'll be fine. Don't worry about me."

     "Its my job to worry about my best friend." He shrugged. "It is, but not at this moment." I nodded as the food came. "Meek, keep Fah under control when we get back."

     "Why?" I raised my eyebrows. "She see's me coming back in a Mercedes behind you and we're screwed." He shook his head. "She slow as hell. She not gone put shit together." I shrugged. "Long as you know." I started eating my food.

     "Are you still taking me to work in the mornings?" He looked up. "You want me to?" I nodded. "I like that." I smiled. "Aight, I'll take you."

     I continued eating. "How your dimples so deep?" I shrugged, smiling. "Its a blessing and a curse."

"How?"

     "I love my dimples and they make me look cute, but they attract boys like you." He smacked his teeth. "How that's a curse?" I smirked. "Because you worry me 24/7."

     "You want to be around me 25/8 so..." I rolled my eyes. "Fine, I do." He smiled. "See. Remember when you got mad at me for not coming over that night I took Fah to Applebees." I nodded. "That don't mean nothing. Maybe it was something important."

     "Like what. You want to giggle at everything I say and then be mad at me?" I laughed. "Yup, exactly." 

     He shook his head. "Childish." I smiled, showing my dimples.

     "You know you love me." He huffed. "Maybe too much." I smiled, kicking his leg under the table.
**********
Next Morning

     "Nicki, wake up." I shook my head, going under the covers. "No Meek, give me a minute."

     "Look, Nic. We gotta go." I smacked my teeth. "Why!"

     "Caiah got shot again..."
**********
Afternoon

Driving behind Meek to New York, I was bawling my eyes out again. He was on the phone with me. "Nic, calm down. I don't need you getting in a car accident."

"Meek, you don't understand!" I yelled. "Nicki, we're almost there, I need you to calm down." I wiped my tears, nodding as if he could see me.

Getting to a familiar part of town, I started driving towards the hospital. Meek hung up as he parked and came over to my car. Turning it off, I laid my head on the steering wheel, shaking my head.

He, somehow, sat beside me on the same seat. Rubbing my back, he consoled me, whispering 'positive things' into my ear.

"Look, you can't make this okay.." I said. "I can't, but still. I don't want to see you crying like this." I nodded. "You want to go see him?" I sighed, nodding. He got me out the car and carried me into the hospital.

Crying hard into his chest, we got on the elevator. I tried once or twice to stop, but I kept thinking about if he was okay or not.

Getting out of the elevator, Meek went to his room and opened the door. Seeing no one but my mother in there, I looked over at Caiah. He was sleep. I shook my head.

"Nicki, you okay?" She asked, coming towards me. Meek was still holding me in his arms. I shook my head. "I don't think she's going to talk. She needs time to herself right now." Meek said.

She nodded. "Alright, are you taking her home?"

"If she wants to." I nodded. "Yeah, I'll bring her back a little later." My kissed my forehead. "Oh, can you bring some clothes for him tomorrow too? They said it wasn't that severe this time. He can go home tomorrow."