Prologue

The air is pushing me back. Holding me back from reaching my destination. What is my destination? Where am I going? I don't know yet but I need to get out of here. I feel my legs aching and the tears stream down my face freely as I clutch my 13 year old brothers hand and run. I run and run and run. My mind cannot process what it just saw. Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Has my paranoia gone to a different level? Was that really him I saw? Was it? I don't have a home now. It never truly felt like home in America. I knew it was a bad idea to move from Britain. I look around at the foreign trees and all I can think is that I'm so very stupid. I just got a few essential things and I ran. To the woods! I even took my poor brother with me! Why should he be tortured because of my stupidity? He's panting behind me and I think it's time for a stop. I can't believe he didn't even question me when I said we were leaving. Not a second thought. He just packed and followed me blindly.

"Colton I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." I break down sobbing. He hugs me really tightly and that's how is it for quite some time. Me sobbing my heart out in my brothers arms. Suddenly I feel him let go and start walking to the right, following a path of trees.

"Colton?" I say questioningly. He just indicates for me to follow him. I follow him and we just walk for ages.

"Colton stop acting like a mute and just tell me what you want!" I declare angrily. He goes a bit more forward and throws his hands up in triumph.

"Cassie look its a train station! We're gonna live!" He says joyfully. Surely, the path lead to a road. There's a sign saying there's a train station a few miles ahead. I guess he is right, we might not die after all.

"That's the plan," I murmur as I follow him. We brought enough money with us to buy two train tickets, so we do just that and wait for the train. We stand in an uncomfortable silence until the train finally arrives. Then we silently get on and wait. We don't even know where we wanna get off. We stare at the stations maps in confusion and just sit down. We'll decide later. After a few minutes Colton decides to walk around the train and maybe ask for help when he comes running back in a panicked manner.

"Cassie the police! Aunt Selma sent them after us! Cassandra what do we do?! They're a few cabins aside asking if the people have seen us!" He declares his eyes wide in fear. I don't understand why the kid is panicked its not like we did anything illegal...well...

"Colton calm down," I say trying to keep us both calm, "look the trains stopping in like 30 seconds we'll get off on whatever station that is." He's still panicked but he looks calmer and we go stand at the door waiting for it to open. We both look at the floor in an idiotic attempt to slightly cover our faces. A minute passes and the train comes to a stop, but by now the police are in our cabin. I can hear them asking people whether they've seen these two children but the people simply say that they have not. Well they must be bloody blind then. We step out of the train but we don't run just yet. That would be too suspicious.

"Ma'am, I need to ask you a question." I hear a voice say from the train. I freeze in my place but don't turn around. I'm not going to turn around. His footsteps are getting closer when suddenly, the train doors shut! Finally something good happened to me today. I look at Colton who's walking ahead of me and follow him. He points to a billboard that wasn't visible from the train and I read the sign out load.

"Welcome to Alibi Creek."

A/N: Hello readers! As I mentioned before this is my first story like ever so I'm open to any suggestions you have to make my story better! I will try my best to update regularly!

Vote/Like/Recommend.

Enjoy! -D