1.29

The Stuff of Nightmares

Reyne, Critch and the others ran through the warehouse and out the front door. They saw Mason climb into the hovercraft that they'd arrived in and peel away, leaving them with no escape vehicle. In the distance, the hum of multiple hovercrafts was drawing near. Sixx chose the first direction and led them around the building and away from the street side.

The other side of the building wasn't much better. Reyne grimaced against the pain in his side.

"I could use a hovercraft right about now," Critch said.

"We'll take the water," Boden said.

Reyne shot a surprised glance at his mechanic.

"The water?" Sixx asked. "I thought it was full of sea monsters."

"The catfish hunt mostly at night. Trust me. Some tenured runaways even live under the platforms. We only have to swim down twenty feet or so."

"Twenty feet?" Reyne asked, eying the water with trepidation.

Critch scowled. "I grew up on Terra. What in the eversea would make you think I could swim?"

"I grew up in Ice Port," Reyne said. "I'd never even seen a real lake until I left Playa."

Boden rolled his eyes. "Can none of you swim?"

"Of course I can," Sixx said.

"I can swim," Chutt added.

"I swam a little when I was a child," Doc said.

"I can doggie paddle," Birk said.

"That doesn't count," Boden countered.

Critch shook his head. "Three out of seven, not great odds."

"I can take two of you down with me," Boden said. "I can come back for two more unless Sixx and Chutt can each take one."

"Why not," Sixx offered. "If I'm going to drown down there, I'd rather not drown alone."

"I'll take Doc," Chutt said quickly.

She sighed against the pirate and mouthed the words, thank you. The pirate turned and gave her a hooded gaze.

Boden nodded. "Okay, Sixx you take Birk. That leaves me with the captains."

They followed the Alluvian to the edge of the platform that ran alongside the row of warehouses. Hovercraft engines and voices barking commands came closer and closer.

"We need to hurry," Reyne said.

Boden watched the water. His eyes darted around as though searching for something. "This is a good spot. Climb in slowly and grip the ropes along the pontoons. Whatever you do, don't make any splashes. No quick movements. You have to trust me on this."

"I take it splashing is a bad thing."

"Only if you don't want to draw in a school of killer tuna." Boden sat and edged himself over and down the pontoon, entering the water without making the slightest wave. He went under, and Reyne found himself holding his own breath. Boden lifted his head out of the water seconds later. "Everything's clear. Get in."

Reyne took a deep breath and was seriously, intensely scared. Stepping into a bottomless ocean was terrifying enough. Stepping into a pit of razor-toothed sea monsters was what nightmares were made of. Reyne sat on the edge and lowered himself into the surprisingly tepid water. He felt the safety of Boden's hand on his back, and he found the touch calmed his terror. He didn't go in as smoothly as Boden had, but he also didn't make a splash. Once he was in, Critch followed at the same time Sixx and Chutt entered the water.