y o u

❝ she is everything i need, that i never knew i wanted ❞  

― Fray

12:55 pm - School Roof

It was during lunchtime that Holden finally found the girl who had been squashed against him merely five days ago. And although she was still on his bus, it was like she made it her mission to avoid him at all costs; to always be on the opposite end of the always full bus they shared.

Of all spots he believed her to be - the quietest ones - she was never there.

Instead he found her in the oddest spot of all; on the roof top of the school that overlooked just about everything to the point of where land met sky on one side and all the city buildings and skyscrapers on the other.

You could hear and see just about everything up there but no one could see or hear you. And that was why he went in the first place, not seeking for the girl for once, but for peace from all his friends, and then, out of nowhere, there she was.

"You," she said in a quiet and surprised voice after turning around at the sound of his movement once his feet hit the ground.

"Me," he smiled as he all but soaked her in, soaked in the way she half leaned against the railing of the roof, of the way her medium length shiny brown hair blew against her face and eyes as the wind teased them a little, soaked in those model worthy eyes that he knew any girl would kill for.

How had he never noticed her before?

She wore a flowy maroon skirt today, not like all those other girls did though, but one just under the knees with her loose white blouse tucked in.

Different, and yet, beautiful.

"Why are you here?" she demanded once the both of them had finished taking the other in.

The side of his lip turned up ever so slightly at her reaction, at the way her lips pouted and turned down slightly and her eyes narrowed just that little. "I've been looking for you," he told her not caring if he sounded desperate or stalkerish.

"I know," came her reply as he walked toward her, "I've been watching you look for me," she bit her lip then, turned with reluctance as if not trusting him behind her, before placing her hands on top of the railing, the wind giving a sudden burst of air and blowing her hair against her face - covering her eyes momentarily much to her annoyance.

"So you've been hiding from me," he stated not bothering with the scene that she was so intently looking down at but instead staring at the better scene in front of him - her.

"As lack of a better word I suppose you could say that," she murmured, voice catching in the wind that changed directions and instead blew her hair to the right now. She tucked her hair behind her ear and glanced at the boy who stood to her left.

"Why?" he asked with a frown as he watched a smile touch her lips and fly away moments later.

"Why not?" she challenged, suddenly intrigued with the boy who would not give up.

Boys have talked to her before since the day she hit puberty. Indeed she was not ugly but she wasn't what most would call hot, sexy or even pretty, in fact she did not know what boys saw in her though her shyness and thoughts kept both herself, and others away.

But she has never come across such a boy as determined and attractive as he.

His reply only proved her thoughts right; "Because I want to get to know you; because you're the type of girl who fascinated me the moment you opened your mouth," he said earnestly not even having to think of his reply as he shifted a little closer the girl whose eyes watched with interest at the scene below.

"You don't even know my name," she said glancing at him a second time and causing half the hair tucked behind her ear to fall from its place.

"I don't have to," he replied.

"You're weird."

"Thank you."

"I like you," she looked away, the rest of her hair sliding out just in time to hide her stupid smile.

She's smiled so much this week it was weird.

It felt so weirdly good too.

She didn't do good.

"I have to go now."

"Tell me your name!" he called turning quickly just as she stopped at one of the edges of the roof - where the ladder was - having pretty much run to it.

She turned, noticed the way his grey eyes were a little lighter than before because of his lopsided grin; softer; before finally deciding to give him that one thing. "Autumn. My name is Autumn."