Rush Hour at Macy's

Start from the beginning

“Make that two, please, miss,” the other piped.

“Back in a second,” I chuckled. I made my way around the tables and back to the kitchen, where I slapped the notepad paper onto the order window. Lisa smiled as she picked it up, and then disappeared behind the wall.

“Where is Macy?” I asked Lisa as I leaned against the wall listening to the roast sizzle in the pot.

“I’m not sure. She said she would be back by five thirty. She wouldn’t miss the rush hour, she loves it to much.”

I nodded my head and waited for her to finish the sandwiches. Once they were in my hand, I carried them out to the two men.

"Thank you miss," one of them nodded. The other tilted his head in appreciation.

"Anything else then?" I asked.

The first man smiled but shook his head.

An hour later I dodging floods of people while trying to carry more food than I could handle. A child cried in his mother's ear, asking for dessert first. After dealing with the table I was currently at, I rushed over to meet the nervous mother.

"Is everything alright?" I asked as I tucked my tray under my arm. The little boy went silent when his eyes met mine.

"Yes, I'm sorry for the noise," the mother gave a nervous laugh before giving her son a stern look. "Tell the nice girl what you want for dinner."

"I want cake!" he hissed with his arms crossed around his chest. I was suddenly aware of the growing number of people waiting for me to wait on them. I tapped my foot out of habit, getting impatient with the little family.

"No, you can have that after. Pick something else for now."

The little boy groaned, "I want a hotdog!"

"I can get you a hot dog. Anything for you?" I asked the mother.

"I'll get the same as him, but in adult sizes."

"Okay, I will be back in a jiffy."

Before heading to another table I slammed the order on Lisa's growing stack. I heard her groan from the kitchen.

"How many tables left?" she asked. I looked around.

"About twenty, and no one is waiting at the door," I sighed in relieve. Lisa sighed two, before handing two plates full of food.

"Table three."

"Got it," I smiled. Sitting at table three was a couple about my age, maybe Blair's age. I couldn't tell.

"Here you go," I placed the two plates in front of each teen. "Anything else?"

"No thank you," the girl smiled. I was about to leave when I heard the boy speak.

"Don't you go to our school?" he asked.

I stared blankly at him. When do people actually notice me? "Possibly"

"I go to Fairmiller High," he informed.

"Then, yeah we do," I smiled. It felt oddly nice to know I am noticed. "I got to get back to work through."

I took two more orders, served three more tables and dealt with another annoying child before I saw Macy merge from the kitchen.

"Where have you been?" I asked once I had a second in the kitchen. Macy crossed her arms around her round body and made a 'humph' sound.

"I was grabbing more supplies, people need napkins. No?"

I nodded my head, "Sorry, Macy."

"It's alright Hun. At least I know you can handle the first part of rush."

"Order up!" Lisa grinned as she placed another plate of food in my arms. "Table five!"

Manoeuvring through the tables had gotten easier; I could now make it all the way across the restaurant without thinking about it. Somehow, that little accomplishment made me happy.

Soon the diner was cleared. Two tables still lingered, finishing their food.

"Sam, could I have a word?" Macy asked. "Lisa can watch the tables."

I followed Macy into the kitchen, hoping she was going to tell me something good.

"Yes?" I asked, nerves slightly rising.

"You did really well today Hun. Most of our new workers run screaming when left alone at rush," she beamed at me.

"Thank you."

"I was thinking, you work four days a week: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and late shift Friday, right after school."

"Sounds good," I shook Macy's out stretched hand.

"I know your family is having trouble," Macy took the hand I already had in hers, and opened it. After digging in her pocket, she pulled out a cheque, and placed it in me hand. "But this is for you only. For all your work today."

I peered down at the piece of paper and instantly pulled Macy into a hug. I put the piece of paper, which was worth fifty dollars, into my pocket.

"See you tomorrow," Macy said as she pulled away.

"Bye and thank you!"

I was about to hang my apron up before she said, "Oh, and this too."

She handed me a red nametag with Sammy written across it.

"I can't have an unnamed employee."

"Thanks!"

I creaked the front door open, expecting everyone to be asleep, and crept into my room. Blair lay on her bed with a book in her face. She lowed the book to look at me over her elevated leg that was bound in white cast.

"How was work?" she asked.

"Amazing!" I debated telling her about the fifty-dollar cheque in my pocket, but decided I should keep it to myself. "Rush was such a... rush! I never though serving people food would be fun."

"That's good." she put her book back in he face as I kicked my shoes and jeans off and slide into my bed.

Sleep didn't come easy. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was hit the sense of sadness I always got at night. My chest felt heavy, and my breathing was uneven. I stared at the glow-in-the-dark stars, hoping it would calm. I also counted them.

It only got worse when Blair's lamp was flicked off. The darkness consuming me, it felt as though I was becoming apart of it. I sunk deeper and deeper into the covers, taking deep breathes.

I fell asleep like that.