Page 1

I don't know how I feel when he's around me. There's this never-ending churning in my stomach when his eyes meet mine.

Then there's this thing with his smile. The one that brightens up my mood. The one that reminds me that there is hope left between him and me.

I still remember the first time I saw him. Love at first sight, maybe?

I roll my eyes annoyingly at the pack of coyotes-I mean popular girls-whispering things into each others ears and giggling when they see that one nerd pull her large black glasses closer to her eyes.

It was only the first five days of junior year, and these idiots were already going to make someone feel bad about themselves. Unbelievable.

I smooth my blouse and prepare myself for another day of disappointment.

********

"Hurry up, Jones! You have five minutes left Five minutes to pull yourself together and finish your final two laps!" Mr. Ramirez, the gym teacher, screeches at me with burning eyes. He knew I wasn't good at cross-country, so pushing me wasn't going to do any good.

Halfway through my run, I spot a boy just a few meters away from me lightly jogging and breathing heavily. It sounded as if he was taking his last breath of air before he was going to die. Examining him from head to toe, he seemed like one of this boys who listened to rap and pop and dated one girl and dumped her the next day. But he did look quite innocent, so the thought quickly vanished.

As soon as I felt like I had the energy to, I picked up my pace to a run-not as fast as a sprint, but not as slow as a jog.

Now I was right beside him. I decided to slow down a bit, so now we were jogging side by side, but he didn't seem to notice. He was still breathing heavily, which made me a little concerned. He should really stop jogging and recover by a walk.

Minutes passed and he was still breathing heavily, and now I was extremely worried. "I think you need to take a break and walk for a bit. You don't sound or look to good." I turn my head to make eye-contact with him, but his eyes were glued to the grass. His entire face was red, as if someone took mashed up cherries and threw it on his face.

Finally noticing I was beside him, he turns his head and studies me. We were just looking at each other for a full minute until he speaks up. "Yeah," he says, sounding as if he was going to pass out. "I should. I'm so dizzy and I don't think I can go on for much longer." He says, walking to the nearest bench, me tailing behind him.

After recovering from our breathtaking journey, he clears his throat. "Oh and I'm Mitch, by the way. just thought you'd know. You did save me from almost passing out." He smiles. A courageous smile. A smile I would've never thought i'd see until now.

"I'm Naomi." I introduce myself with a warm smile. "And it's nothing, really. I save lives all the time. One time I saved my brother from choking on his cereal." He laughs, which caused me to laugh as well. It was weird to think how contagious laughs were. It was like yawns. Colds. It spread to anyone near it.

We glance at each other for a while, until I turn my head and look the other direction to avoid the awkwardness. He must've tried to too, because after that he spoke up. "So. . . um, do you like doing cross-country?"

"No." I say honestly. "Hate it. I would rather eat a porcupine than run four miles every morning." He laughs again. I didn't know why he would laugh at everything I would say. I was being dead serious.

Mitch opens his mouth to say something, but a deafening blow of a whistle as heard in the distance. "Everyone jog back to the gym! Class is over!" Mr. Ramirez's voice echoed through the large soccer field.