A soft breeze cooled her skin, but it did little for the ache in her heart. She had a feeling by now everyone would've noticed her absence and questioned someone about it, perhaps Bucky, who had no idea where she was, or even Chase, who had seen her leave. Clint would probably scold her for being out so late again, but she needed to clear her mind.

She almost laughed at the thought of that. She was running away again. That's all she knew how to do, run. Ever since she was young, she had been running from responsibilities and expectations. When she grew older, she ran away from social interactions, more expectations and even her own feelings sometimes. She even tried to run away from her family's past. Now she was running away from all the drama, from the truth, from the fact that she screwed up bad.

She threw a pebble into the water of the lake in front of her, the ripples distorting her reflection. Tears stung the corner of her eyes.

"What should I do?" She asked herself, staring at her reflection.

"I-I don't know what to do..." She whispered, her voice cracking as tears finally escaped her emerald eyes.

She should tell everyone the truth. They have the right to know, they deserve to know. So many trusted her. Bucky and Loki opened their hearts to her, and everyone else. It's time for her to do the same.

But first she had to make an apology.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

The walk back to the tower seemed like the longest, most suspenseful walk in Anastasia's life. She came close to backing out several times, though miraculously she didn't.

When she finally made it to the tower, she hesitated. The people in the streets stared at her as she stood at the entrance of the famous building, yet she wasn't entering. The security guards were watching her with confusion.

Letting her doubts get the best of her, Anastasia pivoted and walked away. She was a block or two from the tower when a hand gripped her wrist.

"Are you running away again?" Anastasia turned her head to meet Bucky's azure eyes. She shifted her body so she was fully facing him and looked down, not knowing what to say, or rather, where to start.

"You're not going to tell me anything, are you?" Bucky whispered, "I should've expected that." The way he said it broke her heart.

"No, I'm not going to run." Anastasia stated, looking up at him, "I won't run."

The corner of Bucky's lips twitched, but his face remained hard.

"I'm sorry." She uttered, "I'm so sorry Bucky..." she sighed, "I know I should trust you. I mean, you trusted me, and everyone does to and... It's only right if I return their trust, your trust. It's just that... I'm frightened of the outcome."

"I was an assassin of HYDRA, Natasha was a KGB agent, Stark's weapons used to be sold to terrorists, Loki brainwashed and led an invasion against the Earth, Bruce... Well, the other guy, had hurt people. Compared to all that, how bad can it be?" Bucky questioned, smiling slightly as his face relaxed. Anastasia laughed softly and returned his smile.

She had been irrational and selfish. The Avengers were a group of misfits, of people who may not have proud beginnings but have journeyed and fought through endless battles to become the admirable heroes they were today. They accepted everyone, no matter how sinful that person was or how dark their past may be, and that's because they know what it feels like to be an outcast.

But unlike her, they learned to accept it, and though they may be ashamed of it, they trusted each other enough to know that they wouldn't be despised for it.

She should've known that.

"You're right... I was being an idiot." Anastasia admitted.

"Darn right you were." Bucky agreed, "come on... Let's go."

"Where?"

"Home."

Bucky didn't give her a chance to answer as he pulled her along, back towards the Avengers Tower, the haven for all the broken souls of the world. Anastasia couldn't stop smiling as she followed him, with their hands held tightly together.