10. bonding

Sharp eyes followed Anastasia and Bucky like a hawk, watching their every move with caution.

Bucky suddenly turned, surveying his surroundings with care. He didn't notice the shadow that was hidden in the vents. As the two exited the room, a body swiftly climbed out of the vent and was about to follow them when a voice stopped him.

"Clint, what are you doing?"

Clint cursed colourfully under his breath and spun around to meet the menacing eyes of no other than his long time friend, Natasha, who was sitting cross-legged on an armchair, drinking.

"Nothing! What do you mean I'm doing something? Can't a man climb in and out of the vents without looking suspicious?" Said Clint quickly, trying to mask his nervousness. It was safe to say Natasha wasn't impressed one bit.

"Please don't tell me you're stalking Volkov and Barnes." She sighed, crossing her arms, "your obsession with them is getting a little out of hand."

"I am not obsessed with them!" Clint protested, crossing his arms, "I'm just... Looking out for Ana, that's all. You know, after that whole nightmare thing, I'm worried about her."

Natasha raised an eyebrow and placed the glass down on a table nearby, telling Clint her full attention was on him now.

"So you don't trust the soldier." She summarised, making Clint nod slowly. "Does anyone?"

"Ana does." Clint muttered, making Natasha roll her eyes.

"That woman trusts everyone too easily." Natasha countered.

"What's your problem with Ana?" Clint demanded angrily, unimpressed with his fellow assassin's attitude.

"She's too soft." Natasha responded, "she's going to hurt herself one day, or hurt the people trying to protect her. I respect her for her skills and all, but I'm willing to bet that she'll let a hostage go if they ask her politely."

"So she's nice, is that your problem?" Clint questioned. Natasha shrugged.

"Technically we don't even need her, yet we still let her live with us, in this tower." Natasha continued, "up until when Barnes arrived we really have no use for her."

"Now you're just too harsh." Clint mumbled.

"I'm not harsh, I'm being logical. Besides, I don't hear you denying it." Said Natasha, "that means you don't disagree with me."

Clint scowled and averted his gaze, feeling intimidated by Natasha. It wasn't as if he agreed with Natasha, it's just what she said wasn't technically wrong. However, Anastasia's skill set and way with her patients was unique. There weren't many people who could tame Loki after all.

"You just don't know Ana, that's all." Clint sighed, "if you spend some time with her, you'd know that she's not all that bad. She just cares about people more than herself."

With a loud sigh, Natasha stood up and left the room, not wanting to continue the conversation any further. Clint soon did the same, except this time he was set on following Anastasia and Bucky's footsteps.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

Anastasia entered the gym and surveyed the area, feeling out of place. She had used the gym before, but only when the other Avengers weren't present. Now though, Natasha, Clint, Steve and Bucky were all in there, working out. She felt so inferior and out of place for obvious reasons.

She had come in search of Bucky, but seeing him training with Steve, she thought about just leaving and waiting to tell what she had wanted to initially tell him later. However, before she could escape Steve spotted her and urged her to join them.