Chapter 6 - Mage Targa

Start from the beginning

Without lingering any longer, she pulled the doors open and entered. The first thing she noticed was the light—it was different. It felt as a library ought: open and airy. Generous amounts of daylight found even the darkest crannies. She inhaled and a smile crept to her face. She could smell so much! The decay of old books, the scent of varnished wood, the lingering hint of musk—these all washed over her, reminding her of impossibilities and imagination, of all the things libraries were associated with in her mind. It felt like home, like her old bedroom. For a moment she was saddened by the reminder of how much she missed her home, her parents, the simplicity of her old life...

She couldn't afford to think of those things right now. She needed to focus. It was time for her lessons.

She stood in an entrance chamber filled with little alcoves hosting arrangements of furniture. Beyond this she could just make out the vast library. Mage Targa and his pupils sat in a nearby nook. She hastened in their direction. Amongst them she spotted her least favorite person: Lady Caterina.

"You've got to be kidding me," she muttered as a scowl erased her happiness. Now some of Mage Targa's earlier insinuations made more sense. Without a doubt, he had heard about the scuffle between them.

When she joined the group, Mage Targa introduced her. "Ladies and gentlemen," he said, "we have a new student joining us. This is Lady Claire."

Mage Targa's students appeared to be a number of years younger than her and Caterina both. There were two males and two females (including Caterina). She gave the group a nervous smile but refrained from looking anywhere near Caterina.

"How about some introductions?" said Mage Targa. "This fellow is Jaycel. He is in his third year of instruction with me."

"Call me Jace," the young man said, jumping up to offer her a bow. He couldn't have been more than sixteen years old. She was instantly taken by his outgoing personality. He had dark skin and hair that was tightly braided in cornrows. His eyes were a brilliant blue, and she found herself gazing into them, transfixed.

"Nice to meet you, Jace." She offered him a friendly smile.

"This young woman here is Renna," Mage Targa continued. "She recently completed her sixth year of instruction."

Renna, who looked to be just shy of twenty, did not stand, but she did plaster a phony smile onto her face. "Pleased to meet you, my lady." Her voice matched her fake smile. She was doll-like, with pale skin, dark hair, red lips, and delicate features. Her appearance reminded Claire of a china doll. Something about her was all too familiar. Her eyes widened briefly when she figured it out: Renna was one of the women with Lady Caterina during their little spat.

"Nice to meet you, Renna," she said, attempting to keep her voice light.

Mage Targa moved on. "This is Lady Caterina. She is in her seventh year of study. She has proved a most proficient student. Especially given her circumstances..." Mage Targa looked as if he couldn't decide whether or not he wanted to say more. "She did not join me until she was seventeen." Here he shrugged. "Better late than never, I say." His black eyes darted between Claire and Caterina for a few moments before he added, "I believe the two of you have already met."

Claire's gaze locked onto Caterina's, whose eyes flashed dangerously back at her. At last Caterina acknowledged her with a nod. Mage Targa ignored the animosity between them. He quickly moved on, introducing the last student. "This young man is Devmont. He is in his fourth year, though some days it seems he is back in his first." Mage Targa offered Devmont a glare, which the young man ignored.

"You may call me Dev, my lady, as my friends do." He stood and bowed. She greeted him with a friendly hello as he reclaimed his seat. He had tanned skin, brown eyes, and hair the color of sand.