Maybe the monster she feared was back at home.

The woman noticed Dakota staring and, almost self-consciously, she lowered her head. Dakota leaned forward, folding her arms over the table. "You know something, Sandra?" She started quietly, "There are other times when we have to be our own superheroes."

That was trigger enough for the woman to start crying again, silent sobs into another tissue that Dakota quickly offered. She was just about to let the woman know that their time could be extended when there was a knock on the door.

The door opened before she could say anything and a man stuck his head in, the usually bright expression on his face unexpectedly serious. "Dot," he said, ignoring the crying woman and looking at Dakota. "Do you have a moment?"

Dakota's eyebrows shot up. "Not now, Sam. Can't you see that I'm with a – "

"Yes, I know, and I'm sorry. But this is really important."

Sam Wilson had played plenty of pranks on her in the past, but judging by the grave look on his face, this was different. Dakota sighed and nodded. "Okay," She shook her head apologetically at the woman opposite and stood up, placing a comforting hand on Sandra's shoulder. "Take some time to gather your thoughts. You don't have to tell me everything when I get back; just whatever you want to tell me. You don't have to tell me anything at all if you don't want to."

Sniffling, the woman nodded. "Thanks, Ms Summers."

Leaving the woman in the room, Dakota followed Sam out into the hallway. The place was empty, save for a man who stared at the bulletin board, hands clasped behind his back in a rigidly straight pose. Almost like he was standing for inspection in the army.

"Steve," Sam called in a low voice.

The man turned and strode swiftly towards them. The moment the man saw Dakota, he tipped his hat at her, smiling in such a bashful, boyish manner that it almost seemed out of place on a man with his built.

Dakota stilled when she realised that her earlier suspicion was right. That was Steve Rogers she'd seen earlier. It was just so bizarre she could barely believe her eyes. She tried to maintain her composure and offered him a polite smile in return. Really, she was just seconds away from belting out that classic Captain America tune right in front of him.

"Steve, this is Dakota Summers," Sam introduced, grinning at the way Dakota was staring at his friend with wide eyes. "Dot, this is Steve Rogers."

"Dot?" Steve questioned, gazing at her in surprise. There was something searching about Steve's gaze, like he was trying but failing to recall her. She'd never even met him before.

Sam frowned at Steve's question. "Yes, that's what we call her. Is there something wrong?"

"No, it's nothing," Steve said quickly, before seeming to remember his manners and held out a polite hand. "Ma'am."

Dakota took his hand and shook, trying to conceal her surprise when she found that his hand practically engulfed her dainty one whole. "Mr Rogers."

"It's just Steve," he assured her, before rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "I'm sorry we had to call you out of the room. But Sam has a mission to see to, and he'd appreciate if you could take over his session later on at three – "

"Steve." Sam shot him a flat look. "Why're you taking away all my fun of explaining to Dot the protocol here?"

Dakota was more than amused to see Captain America, the figure of propriety and goodness, roll his eyes at Sam. "Fine," he muttered, before waving vaguely at Sam in a dismissive gesture. "Go ahead. Have fun."