Chapter 6- The First Day

Aurelia's PoV:

The cool morning breeze felt nice as we rode out of the small Shire. The dwarves were all already merry, chatting with one another amicably. Myrtle tugs again and again on the lead but a quick tsk and even a small snort from Avari puts her back into place.

"Too bad we don't have the burglar, I liked him." Fili brings up, catching my attention.

"He wouldn't have made it. He doesn't belong in the rough terrain, just like I said." Dwalin waves it off.

"There's still time." Gandalf says, his blue eyes twinkling under his hat.

"No way." Gloin argues, "Did you see him last night?"

Bofur calls up, "Oi, I believe in him. He'll show up, you'll see."

Dori scoffs, "I'll bet you 30 gold pieces he won't."

"Yea? You're on!" They all start excited betting with one another.

"Alright, I bet someone 50 gold pieces that he'll show up. And an obsidian dagger." I offer, and Gandalf smiles at me.

"Obsidian? I'll go for that. You're on Missy, I'll throw in 20 extra gold coins if I lose to you." Dwalin says, "Get ready to lose."

"I'm ready, don't you worry." I reply coolly, gently tugging on the led pony to steer.

They all agree on the bets and start chatting again, excited to see the results. We just entered the Ruckland Forest when shouting started behind us.

"Wait! Wait!" I turn to see the little hobbit carrying a stuffed pack, clutching a long piece of parchment. "I signed it!"

He gives it to Balin, who looks at Thorin after skimming the paper and nods. Thorin almost sighs and orders, "Give him a pony."

I let go of Myrtle's lead and let her fall behind me, Kili neatly tying her lead into a rein. The two brothers just lift a struggling Bilbo onto the brown pony. Kili rides up next to me, making cheerful conversation for which I am thankful, as Fili cautiously follows on my other side. He jokes around, making me laugh in any way as we ride on, the morning brightening.

Fili's eyes suddenly bright up as he calls, "Hey, pay up!"

A series of grumbles and laughter begin and money bags start flying. Kili slows down riding next to Bilbo now, catches one and grins, throwing it up once happily before pocketing it. A whistle goes through the air and a bag sails towards me. I neatly catch it in one hand and put it into a saddlebag, thanking Dwalin for his contribution.

Laughter starts again and the light hearted chatting fills the trees. Fili looks over at me as we laugh together and he looks at me, "I missed this."

I smile, "And here I'd thought you'd forgotten about me."

He grinned, "Yea right. Like I could if I tried. We did so much."

I laugh, "A little too much in my opinion, we were constantly in trouble."

He laughs along and we start a conversation, stopping in nice silence. Suddenly, I hear a sharp whinny coming from Myrtle. I turn and see Bilbo hanging on for dear life on her neck, and sigh a little as I slowed Avari down to let him catch up.

Bilbo looks up at me as he freezes on top of the thrashing horse. I put my hand on her neck and murmur "Hush hush" in Elvish until she calms down. The hobbit looks relieved as he can finally sit up straight without the danger of falling off.

"Uh, thank you." He awkwardly says and I give him a reassuring look.

"When she gets like that, you don't want to freeze up it makes her a little more tense. Relax and stroke her neck, that'll do the trick." I advise him and he smiles at me, nodding.