Chapter 6- I Should Not Like My Best Friend's Brother

Start from the beginning

When class was over, I forced myself to my locker to put away my books for gym. Ugh gym. I hate gym. Why is physical activity so important to these people? It’s not like I was planning to do anything sporty or athletic in my future. Why couldn’t people who shared the same ideas as me just opt out?

Oh well. Just one more class and I’m out of here. Well if you could call gym a class that is.

Upon exiting the changing rooms I felt a headache coming on full power. Isn’t it funny how things like that have impeccable timing? And just when I thought my day was going to be okay.

I walked to the bleachers and took my seat next to Farrah who was looking extremely upset at the moment. She didn’t glace at me as I sat. She just stared straight ahead of her at the students who were currently invested in a recreational game of basketball. It’s what most students did while waiting for the gym teach to come out a take roll before giving us our assignment for the day.  

Switching my stare from the students I glance back at my seemingly troubled friend.

“Hey, you okay?” I asked her softly.

“Blake blew me off again,” she replied in a bored tone, void of emotion.

I frowned. I think I’m going to have a talk with that boy.

“I’m sorry Fare. I thought things were going good for you guys. What is it this time?”

She shrugged. “So did I. I guess I was wrong. He just shot me another lame excuse and told me he’d meet me later. We had plans after school today and he just dropped me like it was nothing.” He voice grew more frustrated.

“Well, you should do that same thing to him. Next time he wants to do something, make up an excuse and cancel on him last minute. He needs a taste of his own medicine, Fare.”

She sighed and looked at me finally taking her attention away from the players. “I wish I could, but I can’t do that to him. I love him and plus, I’m a terrible liar.”

“Yeah, I know,” I laughed at her teasingly. It only lifts her spirits temporarily and she smiles back at me briefly before a frown covers her features again.

“I think he’s getting bored with me,” she said looking across the gym like before.

I shake my head at her already knowing where this is going. “Don’t do something you’ll regret later, Farrah. Wait until you’re ready.”

“Maybe I am,” she sighed again. “I mean, I love him, that’s ready enough isn’t it?”

“Only you can determine that.”

If effort to change the subject she turns back to me and smiled broadly. “So…anything interesting happening in your life lately?”

I blushed. Oh no. Why would she ask that?

“Um…no.” I said slowly trying to mask the emotions that are feely flowing through me.

“Really? So, nothing is going on with you and that kid from your art class? Jonah is it?”

I can’t help but burst out laughing at that. “Yeah, right. I totally have the hots for him, Fare. Come on, get serious. He’s just a friend. I’ve told you this already.”

She grinned. “I know. I just thought you were trying to cover up your feelings for him, but I guess not. He’s a sweet guy though.”

“Yes,” I agreed. “He is sweet. He’s also smart and funny, and honest. These are all very good qualities in a person. But I’m just not attracted to him.”