09 ▹ THE ROCK

The student and faculty of Ridgewood High stood in the main hallway of the school as Willow spoke into a microphone that was placed on a podium.

"Students of Ridgewood High, for our big game against the Ravens, we are excited to have our captain back from her injury, Maddie Rooney!" Willow presented as Maddie waved at everyone. Oz yelled out in excitement for her best friend with the rest of the crowd.

"Hey! Willow wasn't finished!" Willow yelled out in anger, causing the noise to stop immediately while Oz continued on, this time cheering for Willow to continue. 

"Take it away, Mads." Willow then continued, smiling and moving away from the podium as Maddie took her place.

"Thanks, Willow, and thank you—" Maddie was immediately cut off as Willow yelled out, "This is where you clap!"

Everyone started clapping after the girl had yelled at them. Oz was yelling out Maddie's name enthusiastically before she was put on someone's shoulder, looking down to see Dump Truck had put her on his shoulder, causing her to smile at him before she looked at Maddie, cheeks blazing a scarlet red.

"Thanks, Willow." Maddie repeated her words, "And thank you so much for carrying the team when I was gone.

"She didn't carry the team, we take a bus." Lacey stated as she took Maddie's place on the podium. It's really nice, except seat 14 which is covered in tape. There was a bathroom though, which was handy, Willow knows what I'm talking about—"

Willow quickly cut off the girl, "Lacey! I think Maddie has something to say." Willow pushed Lacey to the side as she pulled Maddie to the podium.

"Hey Ridgewood, It's gonna take a lot more than a blown knee to keep me from beating those Ravens. Go porcupines!" Maddie declared, letting out the usual Ridgewood porcupine victory cry as the rest of the crowd continued with her, Oz sliding down from Dump Truck's shoulder and pumping her fist in the air.

"Yeah, we really need to come up with a new porcupine victory cry." Maddie stated slowly.

"And for our big rivalry game, we bring out the Ridgewood rock!" Pete Rooney proclaimed, taking out a Rigdewood themed basketball and everyone cheered, "If anyone can steal this from the team before Friday, you will be excused from gym for an entire week!" Everyone let out "oh"s and "ah"s as Oz thought of a way to get the ball. 

"Lady porcupines, protect the rock!" The coach blew the whistle, handing Maddie the basketball.

"Victory is mine!" Joey cried out, jumping to get the ball before his sister moved it away from him, causing him to fall flat on his face on the ground.

"I desperately need that get-out-of-P.E. pass. Next week is square dance week, and Joey don't dosey-doe." Joey stated with a shake of his head.

"Oh yes, he dosey-do." Willow stated, wearing a cowgirl costume, blowing a kiss.

Maddie, Willow and Lacey stepped forward and made a wall to protect the ball while posing in a way that seemed like they were ready to fight, the basketball behind Willow.

"Gimme that rock! I won't stop trying until I get it." Joey warned the basketball players.

"It's behind my back. One hug, and it's yours." Willow reasoned, blowing him a kiss and Maddie taunted him to come and get the ball.