Part Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six

Perfect. That was how her life was. Nicole skipped off the next morning to work after an endless night in Maxim's arms. She felt thoroughly loved both emotionally and physically in w way she never had before. Their doorstep kiss had been almost obscene and her body was still tingling as she climbed onto the overcrowded tube that took her to work. He was going back to the gym to step up his new business plans, but he was meeting her that evening to take her out. He hadn't revealed where...it was apparently a surprise. She used to hate surprises, but today she knew that she'd not get it out of her head, just being with him.

As she climbed back up to ground level from the hot depths of the underground, her phone rang...Kim.

"Hey girlfriend."

Kim giggled, "hey you. Did your knight in shining armour find you? And what the hell did I hear about you having a fight?"

Nicole blushed, "it wasn't like that!"

"I know, your lover boy told me ALL about it last night, as you slept. What's that all about?"

Groaning Nicole shook her head, "he told me he loves me."

As predicted that silenced her friend for a long moment, then a squeal that was a frequency that could communicate with bats came down the phone line.

"I'm bringing Noah in at lunchtime; meet you at that wine bar across the road."

It wasn't a question and her friend immediately hung up leaving Nicole to walk to work with her blush still obvious to anyone who walked past her.

"Come on mutt, we have places to be."

The dog was curled up on the overstuffed sofa, the only piece of furniture in the room that was his equivalent of a lounge; it was as worn and battered as the dog herself. A match made in heaven.

"If you don't come with me now you'll be locked in ALL day...I may not even be home tonight."

He hoped he wasn't coming home anyway, finally after emptying his heart Nicole seemed to accept how he felt, that he was worth a risk. And the night...he almost blushed at the thought of how they spent most of the night. He should be exhausted, he imagined she was, and she had to work. His day consisted of meeting up with Arthur and some of his trainers to talk about his new venture, his white collar boxing league, whilst he was excited at what that would entail, there was no formality involved in his day. Which was perfect for him after a sleepless night of showing Nicole how much he valued, respected and loved her.

Poor Nicole.

At that moment, the dog lifted her head, studied him for a moment, then jumped off the sofa, wagging her stubby tail.

Max sighed with relief, he really didn't want the responsibility of having to travel back to the home to sort out the dog. Snapping on her lead, he skipped down the stairs, then out of the back door to the gym. His bike was there, and scooping Gryaznyy into his rucksack so only her face showed, he sat astride the bike, his bag between his thighs, the dog's head staring up at him questioningly. She was far too inquisitive. But as the roar of the bike vibrated through him and the bag, he noticed her eyes start to close. Bloody animals.

Nicole was still smiling as she headed along her road from the tube station. throughout, and since, their lunch date, Kim had been sharing ideas, her own obviously of her and Maxim's future, wedding home, kids...she had to curb her friend's enthusiasm, but had to admit that it was night to actually have something to look forward to. He was meeting her later, so they could spend more time together, but all she could think about was bundling him into bed at the first opportunity, not that she'd ever admit to that. She had to be more devious than that.