Part Seven

Chapter Seven

"You sure I can't tempt you with just one more dance?" Nicole swung her arm around Kim's shoulders and leaned closer to her ear her voice loud over the din of the dance floor. "In a few months this will be a thing of the past."

Kim groaned rocking her head back and closing her eyes as Nicole led her away from the chaos and back to the men. It had been a long time since the two of them had had fun, and it was what she'd needed more than anything. The last year had seen her life change dramatically, from the miscarriage to the even deeper depths of despair when she lost her marriage, her identity, now as she danced, laughed...she realised that Vincent wasn't her identity, that she was wrong to let him ruin her like this.

Smiling at the revelation that she was still there, that Nicole still existed, the person who loved fun, worked hard, was a loyal friend, he hadn't taken that from her, but she'd let him think that. "I loved this night," she added her lips still close to her friend. "Wish we'd done it more often the last six months."

Kim turned and nodded, "I know. But we're here now, and I love seeing you, the old you."

Nicole kissed her on the forehead, "sorry for my absence...Shit!"

Kim's eyes widened at her friend's curse as it was so out of character, and so unexpected, "what?" But Nicole wasn't responding, she was staring into the distance looking almost scared, "what is it?" Kim asked again.

They'd reached the edge of the dance floor and were approaching her husband and the other men, and when Kim realised Nicole was staring at that group, she followed her stare. It was then she saw him.

"Who the fuck is that? He is hot with a capital H!"

Nicole spun to look at her, "really?" She then saw the genuine intrigue and confusion on her friend's face at the man stood talking to her husband. "That is my personal trainer!"

Kim gawped at the man, and then Nicole, "you spend time with him? He's beautiful!" She squeezed her friend's hand, "THAT is the Devil? OMFG."

Nicole would have laughed if she didn't feel so displaced; it was the most unexpected thing. She looked at him, he was wearing a pair of very worn jeans, clinging to his muscular thighs and backside, and a black shirt, fitted, tight, but not un-masculine, his head was turned so she couldn't see his features in any clarity, but then she knew how he looked, the lazy stubble that seemed to constantly adorn his jaw, his Slavic nose, and his eyes that could be so warm, yet so penetrating.

"He's a bastard!" Was the only way she could reply.

"But one to feast your eyes on Nic, bloody hell!"

They reached the group, and as Kim extended a hand to reach for Mike, a tall blond and beautiful woman approached the men and grabbed Maxim's hand. As the men egged him on, the moody Russian was dragged rather reluctantly, if body language was to be believed, onto the dance floor.

Mike once again engulfed Kim in a huge hug, and nibbled at her ear, whispering his desires into her ear, making her blush, which left Nicole little option but to watch Maxim dancing with a woman who was as close to perfection as it was possible to get.

Paul leaned in and handed her another glass of champagne, "get a room, hey?"

Nicole smiled, he was talking about Mike and Kim, but her eyes were still firmly on the magazine-cover couple in the distance, "you and Tara would have been exactly the same if she wasn't home with your twins."

He laughed, "you're right." Then he grimaced and she knew that he was trying to think of a subject change. Since her husband had left her every day created these similar awkward situations. A few months back he'd have pulled out his phone and shared photos of his wife and daughters, but with her recent history, he awkwardly smiled instead.