Chapter Five: The Car Ride

Começar do início

My heart races and I nearly slap myself. Why do I always do this? My plan is to pretend she never existed, to carry on with my life and pray that she'll never see me again. Instead, I'm exchanging names with her as if we'll meet in the future.

I force a smile for the sake of it and open my car. The car opens easily, settling my sweaty hands. These doors represent safety, a vessel that can get me far from here. "Wait!" Matsya says, making me almost drop to the floor. I'm so close to getting out of here yet this happens.

"Can you give me a ride?" Her eyes meet mine as she speaks and I nod without even realizing. It could be the way her eyes look weary and tired or the fact she used manners that made me say yes without realizing.

It also could be because I have a death trap and probably will die because I make these type of mistakes. Another reason could be because chances are that her bag doesn't just carry medicine.

Her lips don't move into a smile but her eyes seem to brighten up. That or I need better vision. She quickly jogs to the other side and I catch a sigh of her outflit. It's simple. A pair of black jeans and a black shirt. It's made to blend in with shadows and I nearly shudder with the idea of what she could have used her shadows for.

She sits next to me, clicking on her seatbelt while I start the car up. My eyes glance to Tina's house, spotting Diego walking in the kitchen. His eyes catch mine as he puts his plate in the sink and shifts to Matsya afterwards. The thick eyebrow of his raises as he stares at me for answers.

I move my vision to the street, praying that he'll forget about her. Instead of replying, I start the car. When Tina's house is out of veiw, I sigh and look at Matsya. "Just wondering but what is the medicine for?" I ask, my hands gripping the wheel as I hope she won't be mad or shoot me on the spot. Curiosity won the battle against fear and I gulp as I peek at Matsya.

"Take me to Apple street first. You'll see in a few minutes," she replies, giving me a half answer. Apple street? The name itself send a shiver down my spine, reminding me of the fact the street is overrun by people who drink, take drugs, homeless people and abandoned houses. The street itself is a world away from Tina's one, the type which screams modern and friendly despite the fact it's in the same street.

I open my lips to reject the idea but stop along with the car which parks neatly against the pavement. The house towards it doesn't seem frightening as the rest of the place and I fear for its safety.

Matsya gets out of the car, picking up her bag off my floor as she does. When she walks onto the street, she starts to smile. "Tanya? Robbie?" she shouts, the names echoing on the empty corner. The urge to call the police and tell people she's crazy and has fictional friends nearly overruns me until a few kids run up to Matsya.

From the terrible street lighting, I can't seem to make out their faces or recognize any of them but I could see their limp and fragile bodies. I bite my lip as I open my car door, the sound of it squeaking open sounds like a shriek against the quiet atmosphere of this place.

My feet hit the pavement and I tighten the hold on my keys, the curves of it printing itself on my hands. From here, I can see the kid's clothes and they weren't the type you'd count as new. It was at least a few years old and was ragged as if it hasn't been washed in a while.

Street kids, I realize with a horror. Sometime, it's easier to pretend that they don't exist here. That they only appear in poor streets of Africa, a place far away from here. But here they were, living in a city I've lived my whole life in.

There's seven and most of them look sick. Matsya hugs them all as a group then individually hugs them, whispering something in their ears that makes them laugh. They look at me, frowning and most likely curious. I want to say something but I hold my tongue and just watch as Matsya hands the medicine over.

I zone out of her words as she explains what the medicine is used for and when to use it to the eldest looking. The girl she speaks to nods to her words as my throat feels dry. The difference between the criminal and Matsya makes it seem that they're completely different but they're not. Matsya is the criminal. Matsya is the same girl who terrifies me yet intrigues me. Matsya is her.

Well, that took an unexpected turn. How was the chapter? Did you guys expect it?

Here's an poem from milk and honey since y'all don't know what it is. It's a poem book written by rupi kaur and I swear it's so beautiful. You guys can see some more of her poems on IG and in the book.

Vote?

- Maya.