XX - The Cupid Lake

Start from the beginning

In front of her, Elli saw Gwendary's harp turning to a bow, and she pinched the golden dust from her pouch. She blew on the dust and it became a golden arrow. With a sharp expression, she let go of the arrow and it pierced the head of a Vampist. She repeated the shooting and while the Vampists stumbled at the sudden impact caused by the arrows, the other cupids sliced off the chainmail using the chainsaws in their hands. Despite their size, they could easily lift up the heavy blades, which were transformed from their harps. Elli then hurried forward and finished off the job.

On the other side, Lukas was pinned to the floor by a plump female Vampist triple his size. He grabbed at her hair, intended to pull her away. The facial skin of the Vampist crumpled like a rubbery mask. With a screech, her facial skin, along with her hair was torn from the skull. He almost puked at the Vampist's black skull bones, seething with worms and maggots. With a cry of disgust, he pierced his axe into the Vampist’s heart. His axe was constantly changed to the wand-form, as he shot out the freezing spell. Rooney climbed up the frozen Vampists and thrust his axe into their hearts.

Maxim’s rake was a useful tool to slice off the chainmail, and he killed two Vampists in a fluid movement. Without needing to halt to pant, he moved to his next target, ramming his rake through flesh and bones. This man, though with the physical attributes of a canine, has a lung of a whale, Elli thought.

A female Vampist soared towards Marko amid the commotion, sending him reeling into a tree. She then flew towards him and locked her sharp fingers around his neck.

"Cindy!" Marko shouted.

"Yes, I am. Now listen, I am not here to hurt you. My brethren, they are blood thirsty. Before we were trapped in Mount Tampas, Vadiraj had bitten a Golden-Born. His name is Dominic Hulin, your Chief Sorcerer. He tracked down a Grim Reaper who knew how to release us. One of your—"

A black thorn pierced through her head suddenly, paralysing her in seconds. The ground shook and fissures opened up. Smoky fingers rose from it and grabbed at Cindy’s heels. Before she could protest, she was pulled down into the Underworld. The other Vampists seized the confusion and captured several cupids. They stomped their staffs and disappeared with a dozen of their preys. One Vampist remained on the ground. With a swift movement, he prodded his staff into Gwendary’s tiny neck.

A male Cupid cried in a language Elli didn't comprehend. He flew towards the Vampist, cut off the chainmail, and stabbed his chainsaw into the Vampist's heart. The Vampist wailed and burst to ashes. The other fighters dashed towards Gwendary and found her face a terrible pallor of white. Her lips parted wide, trying to gasp for words. No sound came out. Within seconds, her golden eyes turned black.

“Kriptophine, her blood is contaminated. We’ve to kill her,” said Maxim.

The cupid called Kriptophine bit his lip and with a heart-piercing cry, he pierced the blade of his chainsaw into Gwendary’s heart. She disbanded into golden mist in next to no time. The mist rose to the sky and formed a brilliant star, irony to the weeping brethren on the ground.

The male cupid cried, "No!"

Maxim placed a hand on his shoulder. "Kriptophine, be strong. Strength is what we need now."

"I can’t believe it. Our Chief Sorcerer is a mutated Vampist." Marko paused as he saw his other friends running towards them, in time to hear the truth. He repeated to them what Cindy, the bartender from Rock-Fella Mansion, had told him.

Maxim said, "I could sense the war is coming fast. This is the time we must foster our synergies and fight against the Vampists. We must get out of this forest as soon as we can. You should get a good rest tonight and we’ll set off before the crack of dawn." Marko nodded. Maxim crouched next to the cupid called Kriptophine. "Gwendary fought well. Her soul will bless upon us. Be strong."

Kriptophine looked up at Maxim with his tear-stained face. "Thank you, Maxim. You’re always there for us when we need help. Please, tell us, is there anything we could do to help in this war?"

"We’ll see to it. At this moment, don’t make any hasty moves. Stay close to your kin and wait for my command," said Maxim. "We shall pay tribute to Gwendary before we bide our farewell."

Kriptophine led them to Gwendary's pigeon hole. He clasped a handful of soil from the ground before flying up to the veranda of her pigeon hole. With deep sorrow in his eyes, he let go of the soil onto the veranda and sprinkled a pinch of golden dust on it. The other cupids ran their fingers along their harps and sang a eulogy in their own tongue. The dust formed a bouquet of golden flowers that lit up the night. In a swift glance, Elli saw Gwendary's congenial face appearing in the flowers, smiling at them.

After paying tribute to the chief of cupids, the group bid the cupids adieu, before going back to their camp site. The floor was still smoking, filled with ashes of the dead Vampists. The amber ashes somersaulted in the air like the souls of red poisonous bees. Elli shuddered and hugged her legs to her chest. It was as if the ashes were somersaulting inside her stomach, burning her intestines, tearing every bit of her flesh. Vadiraj... How could you be so crooked? I hate you. You shouldn't live.  

Marko cast fire to glaze the ground and to cleanse the germs left by the Vampists. After ensuring the land was no longer contaminated, he muttered an incantation. Jets of water shot out of his wand and purified the fiery scene. The water dried up seconds later, and Benedict took nine tuxedos out of his suitcase. He laid them on the ground, so that his friends could sleep on them.

While the Jackal-Men patrolled the ground, the other rested with wounded souls. Down in the Underworld, the evil mastermind, Vadiraj, was having an exceedingly foul mood.