XX - The Cupid Lake

Depuis le début

Gwendary played her harp and pitched a pinch of golden dust from her pouch. With an elegant fling of her fingers, the golden dust danced in the air, falling onto Elli and Marko like galaxy from the heaven. Smiling, she ushered the couple to amble down the brim of the lake. The golden dust continued to rain over them until they reached a giant boulder. Then, with a swoop sound, the sparkling dust was sucked into mid-air, never to return, leaving the couple to spend some sweet moments together. Marko sat Elli on the boulder, before sitting next to her.

“Isn’t it great, if we can stroll under the moonlight every night without fear?” said Elli.

“Everything will be fine. We’ll reach the Underworld safely, and defeat the Vampists.” Marko placed his hands on Elli’s shoulders and looked deep into her brown eyes.

Elli nodded and leaned against his chest. If only the Vampists didn't exist. Elli shook her head in defiance. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't kick Vadiraj’s face out of her mind.

Marko lifted Elli’s chin up and found her crying. He wiped two fat tears away from her cheeks and said, “Please, don't stress yourself. I, uhm, I know some knowledge that could make you happy.”

“What is it?” Elli stifled a sob.

“Do you know that the best way to heal someone is through kissing her?”

Elli shook her head. She knew what was coming up next, and her cheeks heated up at the thought.

“I’ll show you,” Marko whispered and brought his lips on hers.

Elli protested weakly and he whispered, “Don’t move. Don’t disturb the healing.” His lips brushed against her as he spoke, and she closed her eyes, relishing their tenderness. His lips explored hers as his hands caressed her shoulders. Elli could feel tingles of electricity current coursing through her veins, and a new feeling that she had never experienced before. She felt a surge of ancient magic within her body — the ancient magic of healing and protection. The pain on her lips and cheeks subsided. She felt revived as Marko lifted his lips from hers.

“So, how are you feeling now?” Marko whispered.

"Oh gosh, do you always heal your patient like this?”

“That very much depends on who my patient is. In this case, you are my first and sole patient. Are you feeling much better now?”

"Thanks, I feel much better now." Strange. For an entire week, she wondered how would it feel like to kiss Marko, but now she didn't feel the eargerness.

Marko sensed her unease. He was about to ask her the reason when Gwendary flew towards them, panic and fear in her eyes.

"Marko, Elli, you must help us. The Vampists!"

They dashed to the forest without further questioning. It was a bedlam with cries of battle and chopped heads falling onto the ground. Blue and pink cupids flew frantically in the air, fighting with a troop of black shadows. Lukas, Maxim, and Rooney scampered into the forest to aid the fight. Afar from the opening where they set their camp, Elli could hear a faint wail of battle from her other friends.

A Vampist flew towards Elli and bared his fangs at her. She coughed the instant she inhaled the smell. The Vampist grasped her neck and brought forth his staff. She didn't brought along her sword when she went to the lake. Retrieving her dagger from her belt, she pierced it into the Vampist's skull. Black gas steamed out of it. The Vampist dropped her, grabbing his bleeding head. Seizing the chance, she leaped to the air and sliced the chainmail apart. The clueless Vampist spun around, and Elli cut his black heart out. She was getting better at this. Even without her sword, she knew the trick now and she searched for the man she hated the most. But as she stormed around the forest, she couldn't find Vadiraj.