Trick Or Treat?

Remember when I met your mom? It was October 31, 2001 and everyone was talking about their plans for Halloween that night. I had none, I knew my parents wouldn't take me trick or treating.

"What are you doing for Halloween?", you asked crossing my t's. I frown.

"Nothing my parents would never take me out trick or treating", I mumble dotting your I's. That's something me and you always did, remember? You hated dotting your I's and I dreaded crossing my T's so we'd do it for each other. Like a team..

You didn't say anything for a while, I didn't think anything of it until your warm hands clasped around mine, forcing me to drop my pencil.

"Then come with me", you said. I stared at you searching your eyes.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, come no one should stay home for Halloween", you said frowning. That frown. You know how much I hate when you frown so I gave in and nodded. You smiled and went back to the classwork.
-
After school we walked out together. I usually walked home alone. You pulled me out dragging me to the car pick up area.

"Mom!", you hugged your mom and she looked at me confused.

"Mommy, this is Brianna, she's my best friend. Her parents won't take her trick or treating so can we?!", your chubby fingers tugged on your mom's jeans and she laughed.

"Why not", she shrugged.

That night I remember her doing my makeup so I looked like a cat. The eyeliner she used for the whiskers smudged at one point, which made you laugh. I remember your mom freaking out because she didn't bring eyeliner with her to touch it up, so she was using her fingers making it worse.

Remember how much candy we got that night. I bet people felt bad about how stupid I looked so they gave me more.

That night I stayed over at your house. When I got to my house the next day I was hit, but it was worth it, because at that point of my youth, the night of Halloween was the most fun I had ever had.

Remember the next day? You saw the handprint bruise on my cheek and started crying when I told you how I got it. I remember you hugging me and apologizing over and over saying it was your fault.

It wasn't your fault. It's my mom's. She was a sick individual. You made my life better, and that's nothing to apologize for. If there's anything to apologize for, it would be for abondoning me now...