The Finding of The One

It was just another one of those days. Things weren't in your favor at all. You mumbled angry gibberish to yourself as you swept the mounds of snow off your car. Kicking aside shards of glass, you gritted your teeth at the sight of your shattered window and snow covered seats. You could hardly believe it. Why would someone pick the coldest and wettest day of the year to break into your car!? At least they didn't steal anything, not like anything in your car was worth stealing, but you couldn't exactly report this to the cops. What are they going to do about it?

After brushing most of the powder off the driver's seat, you slid inside, cringing at the freezing water now soaking into your jeans. With a frustrating cough, your engine warmed up, refusing to give you any satisfaction when it came to the heater. Shrinking into your scarf, you drove home with snow blasting through your shattered window into your face. By the time you got home, your fingers had iced to the steering wheel and eyelashes had frosted over. Prying your hands away from the wheel, you reached for your purse and saw a strange dull shine amongst the snow in your car.

Brushing the flakes aside, you uncovered a small gold ring. All your frustration evaporated, replaced with curiosity as you picked it up and examined it. It was very plain, with no script or diamonds embedded into it. Just a simple gold band. Your curiosity vanished as an icy breeze threatened to eat you alive. Shoving the ring into your pocket and after locking your car (which seemed rather stupid if the window was missing) you shuffled through your front door, trying to shake off the cold.

Wet, sloppy kisses immediately welcomed you home as your (dog breed), (d/n) leapt into your arms. You moved your lips away and pushed him back down, "Hi (d/n)! I missed you too!"

"Is that you ___?" Your mother's voice called out from the kitchen.

"Yup! I'm home," You rolled your eyes and grunted angrily at the thought of your car, "Argh! And someone totally destroyed my car window!"

"What!?"

You stomp into your kitchen while loosening the buttons on your coat, "Yeah! I come off of school in the middle of this blizzard to find my car had become Jack Frost's wonderland!"

Your mom stood there in shock, which only mothers can obtain, "Oh, dear! Was anything stolen? Did you report it to the police?"

You shook your head, "No to both those questions... I don't keep anything valuable in my car, and why would I call the police for a simple act of vandalism?"

She sighed at the thought of the expense, "Alright, well... I'll take it in the shop tomorrow to replace it. Are you hungry? I made (fav/food)."

"Starved!" Taking a bite, your tastebuds sung in praise as you welcomed the food, "Mm! Thank you, mom!" Grabbing a plate and piling on food, you started down the hall to your room.

"Hey where are you going? I thought we agreed on eating at the table tonight?!"

You groaned at the reminder. One of your mother's biggest pet peeves was eating in your room, but at the moment you really didn't want to socialize, "I know... I just, I've got a big paper due in the morning, and I need to finish it!" Ignoring the two burning holes in the back of your neck, you scrambled down the hall and into your room.

Shutting the door so your dog wouldn't vaporize your food, you set the plate down and tossed your purse aside. Shedding your gloves, coat and shoes, you plopped on your bed and grabbed your laptop, taking another bite of your food. Before you even started wasting time on Quotev or Tumblr, your eye caught the strange shape of the ring on your floor. For some reason, your curiosity peaked again and you couldn't stop yourself from leaning down to pick it up. Now without your gloves, you could finally feel a strange chill seep through your skin at it's touch. Not surprising. It was covered in snow when you found it.