Chapter Eight: What Lies Beneath the Surface

Start from the beginning

“There is no we, only me. Ginger is my assignment, not yours. And until I am certain she is out of harms way-- I won’t let her go.” Wow! Sam had guts, especially when he was standing up to Anna. If she wasn’t in front of Mr. Noelnder, she would probably beat him senseless. She give him something to remember.

Mr. Noelnder cleared his throat and almost got me to open my hidden eyes. He announced, “You won’t be letting her go, Sam. You know that.” I held back a sudden cry as I heard Mr. Noelnder. Sam wasn’t going to let me go and Mr. Noelnder was all for it. What kind of principal is he? What kind of people are they?

“We’re doing this for her, Sam.” murmured Mr. Noelnder, clearing his throat again. “I’m not the only person who made a promise to Alexirhoe and Erin.” Wait. Why are they talking about my father. Who is Alexirhoe? My mothers name was Kimberly. Could my father have had an affair?

“I know, but it doesn’t make this any easier. I don’t want to harm her. She is already hurt enough because of those aunt and uncle of hers.”

“They aren’t her aunt and uncle! You know that! They are --”

“Don’t say it! She might be asleep, but she could hear us. She doesn’t need to hear this yet,” interrupted Mr. Noelnder as Anna remained quiet, as he breathed in hard.

What are they talking about? How could they say that Nelly and Frank aren’t my aunt and uncle? Nelly is my mother’s older sister. She is family. I accidentally make my leg twitch and almost exposed myself. Sam inched closer to me and drilled my limp body against his. Did he know I was awake?

Mr. Noelnder asked cautiously, “Is she awake?” What was he so afraid of? Who cared if I woke up and listened on what they were saying?

Sam’s lips grazed mine making me shiver uncontrollably. This was a test, he was trying to see if I was awake my tempting me to pull away from him, but I wouldn’t. Controlling my shivering was difficult, but my mind was more concerned about convincing Sam that I was still in slumber.

“She’s asleep. She must have been dreaming,” explained Sam, removing his soft warm lips away from mine. He stroked my cheek and pulled me even closer to him. This was starting to become impossible to keep still and unnoticed. I was beyond uncomfortable.

The sound of wings came into my hearing and my mind told me bird. Why would a bird me here? Was Sam a bird caretaker? Doubtfully. Light started to surround me and everything. My sense of feeling disappeared, yet I could still hear Mr. Noelnder, Sam, and Anna conversing between each other.

Traders. That’s all I thought of them right now. I thought Anna was my friend, but she was just working behind my back, telling Sam everything, who most likely reported that to Mr. Noelnder. I wondered how long it would take to have these pieces of information transferred to the police and pieced together to arrest the only family I had left.

“Gingerale. Gingerale!” The voice entered my mind and seemed to be in distress. I tried to call back, but a bird flew right in front of me and made me fall backwards onto my sore butt.

Wait. How did I fall? I was never standing.

“Don’t be frightened. I’m here to help you. I’m--”

“Aisakos wouldn’t want her living with them. We have to keep out promise to him and her parents,” replied Anna, defending herself from whatever was said. “He loved Ginger.”

He loved me? Why is she putting it in past tense? What happened that I don’t know? Why am I always targeted? I don’t want to be a victim all the time.

The bird came into my view again and fell to the ground, twitching till it stilled completely. My instincts got the better of me as I picked it up gently, cradling it. Every since I could remember, I have taken care of basically every single hurt animal, dangerous one’s too.

Hidden AppearancesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara