Chapter Three: My Care Bear

• Dedicated to Emily-Elizabeth (Happy b-day)

Chapter Three: My Care Bear

Detention.

I couldn’t with hold anymore. Mr. Noelnder might start getting worried about me. I was already ten minutes late to my full-on-week of detentions. But I had a reason.

An intense amount of pain started again in my throat. My throat started to enclose, making it semi-impossible to breathe. Panic rushed through my veins, causing me to start sweating.

“Ginger?”

I turn just in time to see Ashline enter and pin me against the wall. Her smile engulfed her entire face, lighting up as she noticed how scared I was of her. She pulled something out, holding it inches away from my face.

The shimmering object was an old fashion pocket knife.

I started to cry, but stopped when I heard another person enter the girls bathroom.

The person had short braids coming just over her shoulders and had something in her outstretched hand, holding it upwards. I finally noticed who that girl was when I saw her face. I mean how could I ever forget that face, when she had saved my life numerous of times.

“Anna?” asked Ashline, releasing me. “Isn’t it just a coincidence that you show up at a time like this?” She glanced at me again, raising her hand with the pocket knife, threatening me.

“Stop it, Ashline!” yelled Annastaysia, wiping her hand with her pocket knife back and forth violently. I wanted to cry out for her and tell her to go. To not get herself into trouble. She would already get into major trouble for having a weapon in school. Not to say that she was also threatening anyone, who just happened to be threatening me.

Ashline’s green eyes pierced inside me as she got ready to pounce on me. God, I didn’t want this. I never want these things to happen, but they always did. My first instinct should have been to duck when she came at me with all her strength.

Right when I thought that her impact was going to hit me, it didn’t. I turned my heavy head just in time to witness Anna throwing herself against Ashline. Her long wavy red hair wiped the side of my neck as she fell to the ground wrestling Anna.

Her red hair was now in large jumbled up knots as Anna fought dirty. There was a lot of hair pulling and knife lifting, but none to what I could see struck the other person.

I couldn’t, wouldn’t watch this anymore. “Help!” I screamed, feeling my head go light. Something was horribly wrong with me. Yet, I couldn’t think of myself right now. My best-friend and ex-best-friend were fighting because of me. I hoped that someone had heard my plea for help because I wasn’t able to do it again.

My throat started to burn hot, scolding my insides. Breathing became next to impossible. I tried to call Anna, yelling for her to help me, but nothing came out.

I refused to cry at that instant, trying not to show any sign of weakness. Ashline was now on Annastaysia, lifting her antique pocket knife. I didn’t dare interfere, but I had to. This was my friend here, fighting to protect me.

I swallowed hard, being able to take a small breaths. I took one step towards Ashline, but stopped when Ashline lifted her other hand, revealing Anna’s priceless pocket knife that she carried around since eighth grade. It nearly touched my skin, while her pocket knife was sturdy against Anna’s neck.

“What is going on in here?”

“Stop!”

I couldn’t comprehend on what was happening. Mr. Noelnder appeared out of nowhere behind me, grabbing both of the pocket knives. While Mr. Noelnder was separating Anna and Ashline, I backed up gripping my throat as it became impossible to breathe. I had to release my grip because the harder I pressed the worse the pain got.