Chapter 34-Three years later

Chapter 34- Three years later 

Greg

I tapped my foot impatiently against the ground. I'd been waiting on Dean Johnson for the last twenty minutes. For a guy who had become one of my closest friends, he really knew how to test my patience. It was strange how it all happened really; he and Maddy had always been closer than him and I. But when Lily had returned from travelling at the end of our first year at university and broken things off with him for good, I didn't want him to isolate himself from Maddy because she was friends with Lily as well as him.

So I took him out in London and introduced him to my friends, trying desperately to cheer him up. Two years later and now I can't seem to shake him. I glanced at my watch and shook my head wearily. I was about to ring him again when he came bounding down the street, his dark blonde hair messy and his shirt buttoned up wrong. There was a slightly zoned out expression on his face that told me instantly why he was late.

"Sorry!" He exclaimed. He ran a hand through his hair. "How late am I?" He asked desperately, lifting the cuff of his shirt and checking his watch.

"Late" I said shortly.

"Shit" He muttered, eyes widening at how late he was. I rolled my eyes and found I couldn't even summon the energy to stay annoyed at him. I studied him for a minute and spotted something that made me want to laugh and give him a hard time all at once. There was a dark red lipstick mark on the collar of his shirt. Now his lateness seemed to make more sense.

"I'm guessing this is why you're so late?" I said, smirking widely as I raised my hand and pointed to his collar.

He followed my gaze and grimaced, knowing he'd been caught out.

"Fuck. I didn't notice that" He said.

"Did you come straight from her place?" I asked, disregarding the guilt in his expression. Dean sighed slightly.

"Yes" He replied and then he surprised me by rolling his eyes.

"She lived in Hampstead Heath area. Fucking nightmare on the tube" He explained and I nodded.

"Still in last night's clothes I see" I noted.

He rolled his eyes. "Yes Dad. I didn't have time to go home" He retorted.

I shoved him playfully on the shoulder. "Fuck off I'm barely a year older than you!" I exclaimed and he laughed.

"Yeah but think of what's happening tonight. Greg Jameson's a grown-up" He teased and I chuckled, heart fluttering a little in excitement.

"Come on" I said. "We better go and do this thing" I said, walking off down the road towards the shops. He imitated me, rubbing his collar of his shirt absentmindedly as he walked.

"You haven't got to go into work today have you?" I asked amusedly. Dean had managed to get on an apprenticeship in the financial district after university, which was the reason for the suit he now wore like a second skin.

He shook his head. "Took a sick day"

"They were the ones who got me so hammered last night: they've only got themselves to blame" He added and I grinned.

"Thanks for coming to help me decide" I said and he shrugged, never one to get all emotional about things. It was probably one of the reasons we got on so well: the only thing I ever got emotional about was Maddy.

"I'm guessing she still has no idea?" Dean said and I smiled smugly.

"None" I said simply.

"I still can't believe this" Dean said, looking a little dazed.