01

Chapter 1 | Emerald Rain

I wake up with my face in my pillow, the pillow sham once again is soaking wet. I knew I had that dream again, which once again made me cry in my sleep. It has been 3 years since that day, and my highschool life has been absolutely miserable. The only thing I'm glad about is the fact that he is still in jail and the world would be better if he stays there.

I realize now how much life needs to not be taken for granted, you never know when it could be taken from you. Subconsciously, I glance at the rose that is the only thing decorating my all white desk and matching chair, not counting my laptop. In these past three years, that rose has not wilted at all. The colors change depending on how I feel, but nothing has changed besides that.

My dad told me that it could have been from Mom, so that would explain why it won't wilt. Some part of me somewhat believes that could be true, but I don't believe in things like that, not anymore.

Grabbing my glasses, I decide that it is time to actually get up and not be lazy like always do that ends up with me running late. After putting on a more comfortable outfit consisting of a black long sleeve shirt, light blue jeans and uggs, I try to tame my black hair that will get into knots no matter what.

I walk over to my dad's room in the house, he looks miserable. He has come down with brain cancer and won't be around much longer, another death to add to my life.

"Cheer up Icicle," He says, using my nickname that everyone in my family knows, sometimes I think it's my real name instead of Robin.

"Have a good day at school"

I try to put on a smile for him, to hide my worry about being alone soon in this house, with no one to care for me. But I know that he already saw that worry, He's much more observant than I ever will be in my life.

"Don't worry, I'm not leaving you just yet"

"See you later Dad..."

I walk to the door of his room, turning off the light before walking out and closing the door behind me. The silence in this house is a little overwhelming, especially for a person who lived with a family of four originally. Grabbing my backpack and my signature gray hoodie, along with a slice of banana bread I had baked last night, I leave the house to be welcomed with multiple raindrops landing on my face.

"It's raining again?"

It has been raining for the past two weeks in a row and hasn't shown any signs of stopping sometime soon. Not that I'm really complaining, I love the rain. And I'd rather have rain than scorching heat in November.

Walking into school, barely any one notices me, like normal. I get the occasional glance from the school's 'players' only because they want to take me to bed since I am, and I quote: "A catch" according to them. My sister's death drastically changed me. I used to be somewhat shy and quiet, but I was still well enough known and got along with a lot of classmates and other classmen.

Now I don't care about what people think of me at all. I'm going to enjoy graduating this year and get away from this hell hole state who has taken everyone I love, well, soon to have taken everyone. It's amazing how your personality and actions can change in a blink of an eye. Even now, I can see the old me. So pure and happy, so blissfully unaware of the horrors that were to take place.

I suddenly fall to the ground after colliding with a hard surface, my backpack sliding away from me and my hood falling down in the process, showing my black hair and glasses to the world. Looking up, I see a boy with brown hair and almost emerald green eyes looking at me with worry. He holds out his hand but I stand up on my own, not taking it at all.

"Sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going...."

I quickly walk away, not wanting to start any rumors about me "actually speaking". For some reason, everyone now looks at me with a strange expression. I don't want to guess what it is about, but it is strange that they actually are looking at me once again.

Is it because of that guy? Oh great...is he one of the popular boys? I don't want the popular to be practically up my ass due to me bumping into him. Well too late now I suppose, I have a habit of having karma at the worst possible times.

But for some reason, I feel kinda weird. His eyes, I feel like I could get lost staring at them.

Wait wait what? No no no, I can't be one of those lovesick girls that are gonna be tossed aside by players.

I quickly shake those thoughts out of my head. This is not the time to be thinking of romance, I have to study hard to get into a college far away from this place, and a sick dad to take care of.