Samia knew it was not normal to be able to sense other's emotions. It was a trait passed down in her family. Her mother had it, and her grandmother had it before she passed away. She wondered how they could get through life living through emotional events multiple times – once for themselves, and then for everyone else involved. Her mother said she had to learn how to control her 'power.' She did not feel very powerful. She thought this was a curse... especially when Layla seemed to think that it was the reason she should fear magic.

"Grandma thought Samia could handle it," Raiden spoke calmly.

Layla gave him a hard look. "Grandma is not here right now. Where did you even get the idea for such a silly game?"

"Raiden brought home cards!" Sakiko piped up.

Samia felt her mother's horror as she gazed at her oldest son. "What cards? Let me see, Raiden."

The brown-haired boy hesitated before pulling cards out of his pocket. "They're just samples," he mumbled as he held them out to Layla.

Layla's eyes narrowed as she looked over the cards. Samia could not feel any dark energy from the cards, but she could sense her mother's worry and fear. After several minutes of silence, she turned to her husband and spoke: "We need to talk, Susumi. Now." Her voice was soft, but there was something about her tone that suggested she had to be obeyed.

Susumi nodded. Then he swept his gaze over his children. "No more magic games. Put the groceries away." Then he followed his wife down the hall.

Dread filled Samia for an unknown reason. Experience, however, had told her to trust her instincts. "I – I'll be back," she said.

"Hey, don't leave us to all the work," Kenji said indignantly.

Raiden placed a hand on his shoulder. "We can do it," he said gently. He nodded at his sister. "God find out what's going on."

Samia gave her a grateful smile before turning to quietly make her way down the hall. Just as she expected, her parents' door was closed, and she could hear their voices inside. She tried not to make a sound as she leaned up against the door, her ear near the crack where the door met the wall. She forced her nervousness down so she could figure out what they were saying.

"This can't be it," Layla said in fear.

"But your senses say otherwise," Susumi said. His emotions were more under control, but they still held a hint of fear.

"Y – yes. There is something ominous about them. It's not evil per se, but..." She sighed. "This is a Japanese game. My mother left Egypt so we would be safe."

"I knew your mother well, and I'm not sure it was safety she was after. I've never known her to run from danger."

"You really think this will all unfold in Japan?"

"That's a possibility. We can't know for sure that those cards mean anything."

"But I've been feeling something for awhile now. I've been trying to deny it. That's why I have to protect Samia. It can't be her. She can't be the one who will be engaged in the heart of the battle. Not now. She's not ready."

"Could she ever be ready for something like this?"

Layla's sorrow now overpowered her emotions. "I don't know, but I have to find out. I have to make sure I'm the one who goes through this, no matter what. Will you stand with me?"

"If that is what you want."

Samia's eyes widened when she heard them stand up. She tried to scamper away, but she had only just passed the door when it opened. She looked into her parents' shocked eyes and swallowed hard. They were not the only ones who needed answers. This was her chance. "Th-they're just cards, aren't they? Magic isn't real."