Chapter 23: "I can't sleep"

"I'll see you tomorrow"

"That sounds good"

"I'll miss you"

"I already miss you" was the last thing I said to him before he left me to face the night alone. It should've been "I love you" but for some stupid reason my lips couldn't match with my voice when I wanted to. I tossed and turned in my bed, unable to sleep for some strange reason, I felt like that princess with the pea under her mattress. No matter how I lay my brain wouldn't sleep, and it's not like I was thinking about anything, my mind was blank. Even when I closed my eyes I couldn't fall asleep, and I looked under my mattress to check and see if there really was a pea under my bed like in the story. I sighed as I plopped back in to my sheets, engulfing myself in the warmth they offered while I continued to attempt to fall asleep. After a few minutes of tossing and turning I realized I've been through this before. Ever since Marshall spent the night I couldn't sleep when he was absent, spending the night restless as I waited for daybreak. But when we were together, I slept like a baby, going to be instantly. My hand itched to call him on the phone, but I figured he would probably be asleep when I heard my phone buzz. I hastily grabbed it from my nightstand and recognized Marshall number before quickly starting the call and holding the phone to my ear eagerly.

"Fionna?" Even the sound of his voice acted like warm milk to my system.

"Yeah?"

"Were you alseep?" He asked.

"Not even close" I breathed.

"Neither was I...do you-"

"Yes, come over" I begged before he could finish his sentence.

"I'll be right there" he said before hanging up. I wish he was here now so I could hold on to his warm torso and fall asleep next to him. My heart pounder louder in his absence, it was a feeling I've never had before. The feeling of wanting someone so bad their voice was enough to somewhat satisfy myself. I didn't check the time, I could care less about what time it was or how late it was. Moments past, each filled with painful silence that occupied my ears as I waited with no sounds to distract me. After a while there was a light knock at my door, causing me to jump out of bed and open it. Marshall was already smiling at me, leaning against the door frame as I pulled him in to my apartment and wrapped my arms around him.

He chuckled "Well, hello there" he let me peel off his jacket as he took off his shoes with his feet.

"C'mon, I'm really tired" I told him while I pulled him to my bed room once again. He picked me up from my waist, his arms wrapped firmly around my torso as he carried me to the bed and plopped me down. A smile had spread across my face as he joined me and I pulled him closer, placing my head in to his chest and listened to the sound of his heart beat.

"Did you miss me too much?" He asked.

"Yes" I answered all too eagerly.

"I missed you too" he whispered.

"I couldn't sleep" I told him holding him tighter.

"Neither could I, I don't think I can sleep with out you" he confessed. I looked up to him and his eyes were already positioned to be locked with mine.

"You too?" I asked.

"Tossed and turned for hours" he replied.

"Same...I don't know how I slept alone before, it's virtually impossible now"

"Reminds me of an Ancient Greek myth"

"How does it go?"

"Well, originally, people were born with a head that shared two faces, four arms, and four legs. But Zeus was threatened by them and split them in half, condemning them to spend the rest of their lives looking for their other half: their soul mate" he told. Silence came from my mouth, nothing but the sound if his breathing was left as I gnawed at my lips to speak.