Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 53

Start from the beginning

Focusing chakra into his feet, Kakashi leaps up onto the roof of a close by building, landing in a crouched position. He immediately rises to his feet and races sneakily across the tiles, making sure to keep out of the light of the bright street lamps. The last thing he needed was to be caught following his female student and her young friend in the middle of the night…

“C’mon” Kakashi hears Ashley whisper encouragingly, pulling on Kohana’s arm and leading her around another corner. “We’ve gotta get you home.”

Kohana merely nods her head, stumbling as she tries to keep up with Ashley’s brisk pace. While Ashley seems to just be walking very fast, young Kohana is struggling in an awkward walk, sort of stuck half way between jogging and running.

Kakashi perches on the edge of the rooftop, only his head moving as his eyes follow the two girls and white Wolf, waiting for them to get a little distance away from him.

‘Why would she be taking Kohana home in the middle of the night?...’ Kakashi wonders, slowly rising to his feet again and running across the roof. After a few moments, Kakashi sees Ashley turn yet another corner, causing the silver haired Jonin to bend his knees and leap across the street, easily landing on another roof top.

Kakashi suddenly skids to a halt, spotting Ashley, Kohana and Rei stopping in the middle of the street, all exchanging looks with each other.

Kakashi crouches down again, hands resting on his bent knees and brows slowly beginning to furrow. What were they doing?

The silver haired Jonin narrows his eyes however, when Ashley suddenly glances up at him and flashes a dazzling smile. Kohana abruptly whirls around, giving Kakashi a closed eye smile as she begins bouncing in place, while Rei merely sits down and looks at Kakashi over her shoulder, lavender eyes hooded.

‘Dammit….’ Kakashi sighs internally. ‘She knew I was following her….’

“Good game Kakashi!” Ashley calls, catching the man’s attention. Why hadn’t she called him Sensei like she usually did?

“However” Ashley continues, using one hand to fluff up her hair, “I think we are the victors!”

“You totally had no idea it was us Kaka-baka!” Kohana laughs giddily, spinning in a circle. “Haha! Kaka-baka! That rhymes! Kaka-baka! Kaka-baka! Kaka-baka!”

Kakashi gives the two girls a completely bewildered look as he pulls his headband back down, having no use for his Sharingan now that he’s been discovered.

“I’m sorry we had to do this to you Kakashi” Rei says apologetically, looking up at the confused man through her lashes. “However, you should really give Milady more credit….”

Before Kakashi can ask what Rei is talking about, Ashley and Kohana are suddenly enveloped in a cloud of smoke, with the white Wolf now giving him a closed eye smile.

As the smoke quickly clears, Kakashi’s eyes widen with disbelief, staring incredulously at the three Wolves now down below.

“Perhaps you won’t spend your nights spying on young girls anymore Kakashi” Aki teases, winking a sapphire eye up at the Jonin. “At least, not without me next time. Farewell!”

“Bye bye Kaka-baka-chaaaaan!” Chi cries, waving one paw cutely and tilting his head to the side. “Let’s play again some time! Except next time, Jet-chan can come too!”

As Aki rolls his eyes and ruffles up his beautiful fur, red and gold leaves suddenly appear and begin spinning around the three Wolves. They are soon engulfed in a spinning typhoon of Autumn leaves, before they abruptly disappear, the Wolves no longer in sight.