4: New found friend

Hiccup's Point of View.

Toothless and I have been scouting the forest for a few hours, there had been a big commotion this morning and I was worried for any wild dragons. I was walking next to Toothless' head, my dagger in my left hand just in case anything was hostile or frightened. Suddenly I heard rustling in a bush to my right, I turned that way and cautiously looked near the bush, seeing nothing I shrugged and turned back to Toothless. 

His eyes widened and he was about to yell out but before out could I heard a slight whooshing and and then a huge amount of pain in my right shoulder, I yelped out in pain and spun around and saw a dark grey and light blue deadly nadder standing there, the spikes on its tail up and in a defensive stance. I looked at my shoulder and noticed one of its spikes poking out of the skin, I groaned in pain as I pulled it out, Toothless ran to my side and wrapped his tail protectively around me. The dragon cocked its head to the side confused why a dragon would be protecting a human. 

I gripped my right shoulder in my left hand, "It's alright, I won't hurt you." I said calmly, staring at the dragon, it looked shocked that I could talk to it but it slowly calmed and put its spikes back down on its tail and stood up tall, "I-I'm sorry I attacked you." The Nadder said guiltily I could tell it was a female, I smiled softly. "It's alright.-" I said, and carefully held up my right hand, "I would've attacked as well, you thought I was a harm to you. But I promise I will never harm you." I said calmly, The nadder sniffed my hand before cautiously placing her scaly head in the palm of my hand. I grinned, "Now, what's your name?" Toothless said, coming to stand next to me, I nodded and winced when I moved my shoulder too much. The nadder stared at my shoulder whilst replying with, "I'm Stormcloud. I-Is your shoulder alright?" I smiled and looked at my shoulder and noticing blood seeping through my tunic. I nodded, "I'll be fine." I smiled at her, "How about you come back to Toothless and I's cave? You can have some dinner and stay with us, you will be protected by us if anything happens." I said, Stormcloud's eyes brightened and she nodded her head, I smiled at her and quickly mounted Toothless, he took off into the sky and I quickly made sure Stormcloud was following us before urging Toothless on a little faster. 

After 10 minutes of flying we made it back to the cave, Stormcloud landed gracefully and she looked around noticing the two baskets, the larger of them laying against the ground some of its contents spilling out and the smaller sitting upright. She squawked out a laugh, "Doesn't look like much." I nodded, and smiled. "I know, but it's home." 

Astrid's Point of View.

It's been about a month since Hiccup was banished, the rest of the gang and I completed dragon training, me excelling the rest of them and getting to kill the monstrous nightmare. I guess I could just say my parents were proud of me, seeing me finally become a viking in front of the entire village.

The village hasn't been the same since Hiccup left, during dragon raids the villagers don't need to be looking out for a certain fishbone of a viking. Gobber has needed to do all the forge work by himself and he's been laking how he works because the tools aren't as sharp as usual. Fishlegs hasn't been able to talk to anyone about dragon information, if he does to anyone else in the gang he's told to shut up by either an annoyed Snotlout or an angry me. Snotlout has been a little down lately and I know he misses Hiccup, no matter how bad he treated him, Hiccup was a cousin to him and he missed him. Ruffnut and Tuffnut misses Hiccup, not matter how much they say they don't. Hiccup was the main one who laughed at their pranks even if he told them off sometimes, so they've avoided doing pranks since he left.

And Stoick's the worst, he keeps to himself mostly. Staying in his home only coming out for large chief duties, he's told Gobber he's the one to run the village until he's feeling better. But I doubt he'll feel better, and I know he feels guilty with sending Hiccup away, but it was my fault.

And now there's me, I'm probably the second worst with coping with this. I miss Hiccup. I used to like him as a child but I was told I shouldn't like someone like him, someone more like Snotlout, someone who will be able to live up to my 'needs' as a young viking lass. But I could never hide them too much from myself. I've felt guilty ever since he left, it was my fault he was banished, said to be a traitor by his own tribe and disowned by his father. All. My. Fault. And here people were, blaming themselves, it makes me even more ashamed because everyone felt bad about Hiccup's departure from the village of Berk, everyone treated him so badly and now... there were five years before anyone could even try to ask for forgiveness.

And who's fault was that? 

Mine.