Breaking And Entering

Jane  

 "Who was that?" Val asked from where she paced across the living room floor.

I shoved the cell phone back into my jacket pocket. "William, Ava's blood bond. He's not too happy about me coming over here."

Val froze. "Wait, Ava has a blood bond?"

"Yes," I told her. "Not that that's really important right now. We need to get her back. I'm sure you know how to get into that place."

"Yeah, but I don't think the rest of the Hunters would be very welcoming. We can't just bust up in there and take her back. We...they don't work like that. And, in case you didn't know, they aren't too keen on vampires. I'm sure your presence will have more alert and aware than usual."

I crossed my arms. "You underestimate me."

"So," Val asked, raising an incredulous brow, "have you fought vampire Hunters before?"

It was odd how the scent of her blood and the scent of Luke's differed. They were both human, but Val's Hunter genes portrayed a more pungent, displeasing smell. One that most definitely overpowered the other.

Luke leaned forward with anticipation. Ever since I told him what I was, he had the same doe-eyed expression on his face. Scared, but curious. Humans were such odd creatures. Wanting to run from the terrifying things yet staying out of their thirst for more knowledge.

"Years ago, yes," I said. "I've fought my battles, and I've won them too. I'm not the average Barbie vampire I may look like. I'm the youngest of my coven, therefore, my blood is still the remnants of a Newborn. And you know how strong Newborns are. Don't you, Val?" I held my gaze on her. She stood expressionless. "But at the same time, I have enough years to know how to fight."

Silence flowed into the room. A shadow creeping over us like a burden. Luke looked to me, I stared at Val, and she kept her eyes on me. Finally, Luke spoke his voice a jagged whisper.

"How old are you?" he asked me.

My gaze flicked over to him. "I was changed in '84, but physically, I am seventeen-years-old. Just like you."

"Eighteen, actually. I'm eighteen." He rubbed his hand together. "And do you have a...whatever it was called...a blood bond with someone? Like what Ava has with that William guy?"

"No." I licked my lips wryly. "It's just me."

The moment entered a dead lull again, but something changed in Luke's eyes. The fear disappeared, transforming into something else. Pity. An emotion I despised especially when directed towards me.

I turned towards Val again. "Can you get us into the Hunter headquarters or what? I'm sure I can locate it myself if I need to."

"I'll do it," she said. "Ava's my sister, and whatever they're doing to her can't be good. Vampire or not, I can't stand the thought of those people torturing her."

†††

The Hunters were located in an old police station on an abandoned street. The place was rundown, and it smelled like death. Val and I hugged close to the wall, sliding around the backside of the building. Luke waited in the car streets away after he insisted on coming along.

"Right here," Val pointed to a staircase that led underground to the basement.

She pulled out a gun from the inside of her jacket. I found myself flinching away from it.

"Don't worry," she said. "This wouldn't do much to you. This isn't a weapon to use against vampires, just Hunters."

I opened my mouth, working up some form of response, but Val was already down the staircase and at the back door. I followed behind her silently, knowing my footsteps wouldn't be heard.

We entered a room so dark, a regular human would probably be blind. But with my vampire senses and Val's Hunter abilities, we both made our way through it effortlessly. Cardboard boxes littered the room, some empty and some full. The Hunter scent grew stronger by the moment. This must have been some sort of storage room.

The room led out into a dim hallway where electric lights flickered at the end. The muffle of voices came from somewhere in the distance. Val glanced over at me and put a finger over her lips. I rolled my eyes.

We peered around the next corner where a short, blonde woman and a tall, dark-headed man stood arguing with each other.

"It's not working," the man said.

"Not yet, but it will." The light flickered on the woman's face, showing her features.

Val squeaked from beside me. I could feel her breath on my neck, growing heavier. Her eyebrows furrowed as she stared at the woman like her gaze was fire igniting the place, burning it and everyone to bits.

"I can't give up," the woman continued to say. "She's my daughter. I can't let her be this...this...monster. She can't live like this. I'm not going to let it happen."

"Then what's your plan, Celia?" The man's voice grew sharper. "How are you going to save her? You're still working on the cure. At this rate, it's not going to be ready anytime soon. What are you going to do until then? Keep her locked up in that cage like some kind of wild animal?"

"Isn't that what she is, though? She's a vampire, Derek! The very same beings we're against! The same we kill! I'm not going to kill her, but while she is what she is I have to keep her here. She can't run around murdering people, pursuing such monstrous acts, not my little girl."

I glanced back over at Val. Of course, Val and Ava's mother was the head Hunter of this little party. Hunters usually ran in families, so it made perfect sense.

"We are torturing her, Celia! How is that any worse than killing her?"

The woman crossed her arms. "You didn't seem to be bothered while you were in there, Derek. I don't know what you're game is, but you need to remember that you work for me. You do as I say. And if you want to keep your job and your life here, you will stop arguing with me and go question Hanson again."

The two stared each other down in another fit of silence. I paused my unnecessary breathing, matching the quiet atmosphere. Through the building, I could hear the faint echo of a girl groaning in pain.

William's word came to my mind. His warning, telling me I shouldn't come here. Telling me I would be doing what's best by keeping my nose out of it. And then my silent "no" as I hung up the phone.

Then Val hiccupped from beside me. I shot her a look as her hand flew to her mouth. But it was already far too late. The two hunters noticed us. And within, seconds they were coming for us. I immediately recognized the man's face now. The face matched the name and voice so perfectly, I felt ignorant for not realizing it before. For being so caught up in the moment to not even think for a second that he had changed after all of these years.

And his agility and speed matched as well. I could barely make a run for it before she leaped for my leg, pulling me to the concrete floor. We tousled and turned, my sharp incisors exiting my gums because of my natural reflexes.

He stopped, pressing his body over mine. "Huh, I can honestly say that I am surprised to see you here, Jane."

"As I can say the same," I croaked from under him. "How about a deal? You give me Ava and our lives and I'll give you yours."

Derek's green eyes became a glimmer of what I remembered--well, from the times before he tried to kill me, of course. Then the woman Hunter, Celia, grabbed Val's shoulder, standing over us.

"Derek, if you knew what was best for you, you would lock that vampire up. You don't want to be a vampire-generous sympathizer like my dear daughter, do you?"

Derek's eyes stayed on mine, the soft glow growing into ice. The next second, I felt the sting of a needle in my arm.

His familiar gaze faded along with the Celia's rage, Val's resistance, and Ava's soft cries.