Stuck here with you:part 2

The next day...

Both rodents were seated one beside the other, on the right side of a smaller plane. Each row had two seats and each seat had a screen in the back of it; Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs was playing. Instead of plugging his headphones in to watch the movie, Sonic was leaned back in his seat, eyes closed, iPod playing Green Day music at full blast. Anyone would think he was focused on the music and not wondering how soft Shadow's chest fur might be. Shadow himself was on his side, facing the window instead of Sonic, fast asleep in his reclined seat.

Before too long, the pilot announced over the intercom: "Attention all passengers. We're beginning out initial descent into Fort Worth; we'll be landing in 20 minutes. At this time I'm asking all of you to turn off and put away all electronic devices such as iPods, cell phones and DVD players, and please stay seated with your seat belt on for the remainder of the flight. The weather in Fort Worth is very fair today; it's 74 degrees and slightly cloudy with a light breeze blowing.

'Nice weather,' Sonic nodded to himself, stowing his iPod in the side pocket of his carry-on bag. He figured he may as well wake Shadow up. He put one hand on his shoulder and... couldn't resist rubbing it just a little and... giving him a light hug before shaking. "Hey, Shadow." No response. He shook a bit harder. "Shadow, wake up." This time he heard a small groan.

Shadow pulled himself up, rubbing his eyes with one hand and pushing Sonic's arm away with the other, even though part of him didn't want to. "Are we landing?" "In about 20minutes,yeah." "Okay," he yawned, shifting back onto his side. For once, he almost seemed content and not angry.

After the plane landed and they both dragged their luggage off, Amber was waiting for them in the terminal, sitting upright, engrossed in the latest edition of USA Today magazine. As the mismatched pair of hedgehogs approached, her left ear twitched slightly; she glanced up , setting her reading material down in the seat adjacent to hers. "Oh, you two must be Sonic and Shadow." "That we are," Sonic returned the greeting. "Good, then we can go. I have work to do back home." She glanced at what she thought must've been the smallest suitcases she'd ever seen. "Is that all you brought?" Her eyes widened minutely.

"Yeah. Why?" "Oh, it's nothing. That just doesn't seem like much for such a along trip. You two need any help with those?" Both boys shook their heads. "Alright then." She grabbed her purse from under the seat and stood up straight, looking much taller now. "We can stop and get something to eat on the way," she suggested. "Everything in these airports is just so overpriced."

The truck ride wasn't much different from the plane ride. Shadow took that back seat and had his eyes fixed on the window the whole way, feeling bored but looking patient, and didn't say a word unless he was spoken to first. Sonic rode shotgun, glancing out the window every now and then. 'That hawk was right,' he confirmed, already noticing how different the sky looked. It seemed so much bigger without any skyscrapers to block it.

Without the radio on, the truck was awkwardly silent until Amber commented, "You two are just like my own boys. They never said a word in the truck either, just sat there with their iPods and videogames." "We were told they're both in college?" Sonic ventured. "Yep. Athletic scholarships, both of 'em." "What do they play?" "Baseball. Greatest sport in the world," she reflected, remembering her younger days when she herself would play sports during most of her time after school. Sonic couldn't relate; he didn't have much experience in sports, outside of the videogames he'd been put in. "So... We were also told you sell saddles?"

She nodded broadly, keeping her attention on the road. "Yes I do, the best saddles this side of Houston." She must've been right; the house at the end of the long driveway she turned in to was big and impressive. The front yard was covered in lush green grass and a few large pecan trees here and there. The type of stones used to make the sidewalk from the garage to the front porch went well with the stones on the front of the house.