Chapter 31 16th century eugenics

"It's not my fault, Grammy!"

"She's right," Sandra stared at the older woman. "These files are from all over the country. They document multiple attacks by and I quote "Unnatural predators". I think this Milner guy might actually be on to you." She looked at Mrs. Meyers.

The Weaver didn't look surprised but she stood and came to look at the files anyway. Long moments passed as she leafed through Agent Milner's research. Finally she stood up straight and sighed.

"This is a problem." She glanced around the table then returned to her chair.

"So what do we do?" Whitney sat forward anxiously.

"Agent Milner is a matter for the Council." She turned toward Barbie. "My concern is you two."

"We came because we have a common goal. Stopping Cecelia from freeing Apep." John said.

"You came because you are frightened." Mrs. Meyers' voice snapped like a whip. "I do not appreciate subterfuge."

"I'll admit that I'm terrified," Barbie agreed. "But scared or not we have to stop her from getting to Apep."

"Where is this Apep now?" Whitney asked.

John and Barbie exchanged a look. Then despite the shake of John's head she answered, "Devon."

"Where?"

Sandra  pulled her phone out and started searching the web.

"Devon. It's in the UK." Barbie clarified.

"So how close is Cecelia to getting there?" Whitney asked.

"I'd say pretty damn close." Sandra held her phone out showing Rami's map of red pins. "That little cluster is Devon."

There was a loud commotion from the door then suddenly Thomas appeared in the door of the dining room.

"Thomas!" Whitney jumped up and bounded over to hug him. "You're okay! What happened with the police? I take it they didn't catch you."

"Hey, Whit. Are you kidding? No cop can catch me." He gave her a squeeze grinning then glanced around the room. His grin faded when he saw John and Barbie, "What'd I miss?"

"A bunch." She led him back to the table.

John wrinkled his nose and muttered, "Stinking werewolf."

"Not cool," Whitney whirled on him.

John started to stand and Thomas growled.

"Enough," Barbie jabbed John with her elbow. John gave her an annoyed glance.

"We are under the gun, kids. So settle down." Sandra sat forward. "We need a plan and we need it now."

"Alright, recap." Whitney help up her hands and turned to Thomas.

He looked up as he was sitting. "These are the Three Hares. Like from the metal disk thingie." She turned to Barbie, "You know where Cecelia is going and you already have this Apep imprisoned. So why do you need us?"

"We need reinforcements." John admitted grudgingly.

"We need your boss, Madraeus Ravilla." Barbie added vehemently. "He's been the only one in the past that can every remotely stand up to Cecelia. "There are so few of us left that we can't protect the Key on our own."

"What Key?" Sandra pounced on that little piece of information.

"Barbie." John growled at her warning her not to give them too much information but she ignored him.